Deal alert: Fly to Shanghai or Beijing on Air Canada for $339–$550
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Airfare deals are typically only available on limited dates. We recommend you use Google Flights to find dates to fly, then book through an online travel agency such as Orbitz or Expedia, which allows you to cancel flights without penalty by 11pm Eastern Time within one day of booking. However, if you’re using The Platinum Card® from American Express, you’ll need to book directly with the airline or through the Amex Travel portal to get 5x MR points. Remember: Fares may disappear quickly, so book right away and take advantage of Orbitz or Expedia’s courtesy cancellation if you’re unable to get the time away from work or family.
Now is the time to lock in on some inexpensive flights to Shanghai or Beijing via Air Canada. While availability is limited to certain dates in February and March 2020, the fares — ranging from $350-ish to $550-ish round-trip in economy — are worth booking.
We like to use Google Flights to find fare deals like this. Enter your city pairs and then review the calendar to find dates and prices that work. Once you’ve found a route that works, click through to book directly with the airline or an OTA like Expedia or Priceline.
Airline: Air Canada
Routes: Travel to Shanghai or Beijing from Charlotte, Chicago, Dallas, Detroit, Houston, Los Angeles, Miami, Minneapolis, New Orleans, New York, Orlando, Pittsburgh, Portland, Seattle, St. Louis, San Diego or San Francisco via Vancouver
Travel Dates: February and March 2020
Pay With: The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on airfare booked directly with the airline), Citi Prestige® Card (5x on airfare), Citi Premier℠ Card, Chase Sapphire Reserve (3x on airfare), American Express® Gold Card (3x on airfare when booked directly with the airline) or Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on travel)
Here are some sample fares we found:
Las Vegas-LAS to Shanghai-PVG for $339 per person, round-trip in economy
Seattle-SEO to Shanghai-PVG for $352 per person, round-trip in economy
Chicago-ORD to Beijing-PEK for $435 per person, round-trip in economy
Minneapolis-MSP to Beijing-PEK for $542 per person, round-trip in economy
Featured image by DuKai photographer/Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, up to $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy VIP status and up to $200 in Uber savings on rides or eats orders in the US annually. Uber Cash and Uber VIP status available to Basic Card Member only.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts® program at over 1,000 properties. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 in statement credits per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. That’s up to $50 in statement credits semi-annually. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees