Deal alert: $574 round-trip to South Africa, Kenya and Ethiopia on Qatar, Star Alliance airlines
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Bless the rains in Africa, as well as the flight-sale gods: Round-trip flights to popular destinations on the African continent have dropped below the $600 mark. These rates hold firm even for Midwest travelers.
Cape Town, South Africa, is one of The Points Guy’s hottest destinations for 2020. It’s also a favorite of The Points Guy himself, Brian Kelly, as well as a number of TPG staffers‚ myself included. Now you can get there for up to $1,000 off a typical ticket price, according to The Flight Deal.
The best rates originate out of major airports, such as Los Angeles (LAX), Houston (IAH) and Chicago (ORD), and are available over select dates in March and April, as well as October and November of this year. Cape Town is in the Southern Hemisphere, so plan for inverted seasons and temperatures when booking fall travel. It will be springtime in South Africa over Thanksgiving.
Some of the Swiss- and Turkish-operated flights include lengthy layovers, which gives you a bonus opportunity to check out another country at no additional cost.
To find a deal, head to Google Flights and enter your origin and destination cities. Scroll through the calendar function to find your dates and prices. Finally, click through to book directly with the airline or an online travel agency like Orbitz or Expedia.
Airlines: Swiss, Lufthansa, Qatar, United, Turkish
Routes: LAX/ORD/IAH/SFO/ATL and more to CPT/NBO/ADD/JNB/LOS
Cost: from $574 round-trip
Dates: March — May 2020, and October — November 2020
Pay with: The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on airfare booked directly with the airline), Citi Prestige® Card (5x on airfare), Citi Premier® Card, Chase Sapphire Reserve (3x on airfare), American Express® Gold Card (3x on airfare when booked directly with the airline) or Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on travel)
The information for the Citi Prestige Card has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
Here are some examples of specific flights that are available:
Los Angeles (LAX) to Cape Town, South Africa (CPT), for $574 round-trip on Swiss via Vayama:
Chicago (ORD) to Nairobi, Kenya (NBO), for $595 round-trip on Swiss/Lufthansa via Google (22-hour layover in Zurich):
Houston (IAH) to Nairobi, Kenya (NBO), for $611 round-trip on Lufthansa via Gotogate:
Houston (IAH) to Addis Ababa, Ethiopia (ADD), for $638 round-trip on Qatar via Vayama:
New York-JFK to Johannesburg, South Africa (JNB), for $660 round-trip on Qatar via Vayama:
San Francisco (SFO) to Johannesburg, South Africa (JNB), for $696 round-trip on United:
Atlanta (ATL) to Lagos, Nigeria (LGO), for $864 round-trip:
Maximize your purchase
Use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases, such as The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel), Chase Sapphire Reserve, American Express® Gold Card, Citi Premier® Card, Citi Prestige Card (5x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this guide for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
Featured image by THEGIFT777 / Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees