3 days only: Amtrak tickets from $15 one-way
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
It’s “National Plan for Vacation Day” and to celebrate, Amtrak is offering 30% off bookings made today through Jan. 30, 2020.
The purpose of NPVD is to encourage U.S. workers to use their paid time off and plan their year’s travel ahead of time so that no PTO (paid time off) is left on the table.
To get in on the savings, you must travel Feb. 15 – March 31, 2020. The promotion is valid for coach seats and Acela business class only. Last, it is only available on select train services.
Here are some of the rates Amtrak is promoting:
The discount will automatically be applied at checkout on all valid routes, although it appears that not all departures are discounted, so you may have to search a little to find the cheapest fares.
Start your search for discounted tickets on the Amtrak website. You don’t need a coupon code to unlock the cheap fares.
Routes: Services include travel on the Acela, Northeast Regional, Adirondack, Maple Leaf (within the U.S.), Downeaster, Carolinian, Piedmont, Empire Service, Ethan Allen, Vermonter and reserved sections of the Keystone and Pennsylvanian.
Cost: From $15 one-way
Book by: Jan. 30, 2020
Travel Dates: Feb. 15 – March 31, 2020
Restrictions: Prices can’t be combined with other discount codes. Upgrades to business class are not permitted, and this offer is only valid for Acela business-class and coach seats. Space is limited as sale prices are not available on all trains or at all times. Once purchased, tickets are nonrefundable. Exchanges are permitted within the ticket validity period; a 25% cancellation fee applies. Other restrictions may also apply.
Pay With: Chase Sapphire Reserve (3x on travel) or Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on travel)
Here are a few examples of what you can book:
Richmond, Virginia, to Washington, D.C., for $19 one-way:
Boston to Portland, Maine, for $20 one-way:
Charlotte, North Carolina, to Richmond, Virginia, for $38 one-way:
Niagara Falls, New York, to Albany, New York, for $38 one-way:
Boston to New York City for $39 one-way:
New York City to Washington, D.C., for $39 one-way:
New York City to Bellows Falls, Vermont, for $49 one-way:
Maximize your purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on train purchases, such as the Chase Sapphire Reserve Card (3x on all travel purchases) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases).
Featured photo by Melanie Lieberman/The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.