Best for Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite status
Cardmembers can easily obtain value from this card during the first year, due to its valuable welcome offer. However, it may be hard to justify keeping this card in your wallet beyond that.
At a glance
- 4X Earn 4X points at restaurants worldwide and U.S. supermarkets (on up to $15,000 in combined purchases at restaurants and U.S. supermarkets per calendar year, then 2x points).
- 2X Earn 2X points on all other eligible purchases.
- 6 Points Earn 6 Marriott Bonvoy® points for each dollar of eligible purchases at hotels participating in Marriott Bonvoy.
- Earn 85,000 Marriott Bonvoy® bonus points after you make $4,000 in purchases on your new Card within the first 3 months.
- Earn 6 Marriott Bonvoy® points for each dollar of eligible purchases at hotels participating in Marriott Bonvoy.
This newest Marriott Bonvoy card from American Express is the first card in their portfolio at the mid-tier level. Whilst it does give cardmembers automatic Gold status and an elite night credit boost, it struggles to prove its value proposition apart from a generous welcome bonus.
- This card offers mid-tier perks for those loyal to Marriott Bonvoy.
- You'll get automatic Gold Elite status, solid points-earning at Marriott properties and 15 elite night credits each year.
- This card lacks a number of benefits that you might expect from a card with a $250 annual fee.
- You have to spend at least $15,000 in eligible purchases (per cardmember year) to earn a free night award, when competing cards at the same annual fee (or even lower) include that perk with no spend.
- No lounge membership or statement credits for perks like TSA PreCheck/Global Entry.
Who is this card good for?
This card is positioned between luxury hotel cards with annual fees over $450 and entry-level cards available for less than $100. The Bevy is best for Marriott loyalists who want to bump their Bonvoy balance with a generous welcome offer.
This card earns 6 Marriott Bonvoy points per dollar on purchases at hotels participating in the Marriott Bonvoy program. It also earns 4 points per dollar on the first $15,000 per year in combined purchases at restaurants worldwide and U.S. supermarkets (then 2 points per dollar after reaching this limit). You’ll earn 2 points per dollar spent on other eligible purchases.