Best business card for flexible earning
The American Express Business Gold takes the challenge out of earning points. With no rotating bonus categories, cardholders are in control of where to spend money and easily earn points that best suit their business needs. (Partner offer)
At a glance
- 4X Get 4X Membership Rewards® points on the 2 select categories where your business spent the most each month.
- 1X 1X is earned for other purchases. **
- 25% Airline Bonus: Get 25% points back after you use points for all or part of an eligible flight booked with Amex Travel, up to 250,000 points back per calendar year.*
- Welcome Offer: Earn 70,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $10,000 on eligible purchases with the Business Gold Card within the first 3 months of Card Membership.*
- More Rewards: Get 4X Membership Rewards® points on the 2 select categories where your business spent the most each month. 1X is earned for other purchases. **
If you’re business does a lot of spending, you can probably justify spending the $295 annual fee that’s associated with the American Express Business Gold card. This card allows you to earn points in the top two categories you spend the most in. If you max out the categories each year, you could walk away with 600,000 Membership Rewards points annually. Amex has 22 airline and hotel partners you can transfer points to and often offers limited time transfer bonuses that you can take advantage of to increase the value of existing points.
- Earn 4x Membership Rewards points in the top 2 spending categories each month (on the first $150,000 in combined purchases each calendar year)
- Pay for eligible flights booked with Amex Travel with points and get 25% of them back
- Comes with a 70,000-point welcome offer
- Hefty $295 annual fee
- Must spend $10,000 on the card in the first three months of card membership
- No monthly or annual credits such as on the Amex Business Platinum or consumer Amex Gold cards
- There may be better options for small businesses who don't spend a lot
Who is this card good for?
The American Express Business Gold card is great for larger businesses who do a lot of spending and are looking for a decent return on investment. Smaller businesses may have trouble racking up enough expenses to make this card worthwhile.
Cardholders will earn 4x points on their top two spending categories each month. The categories that will count towards earning these points are airfare purchased directly from airlines and U.S. purchases at gas stations, shipping, restaurants, computer software, hardware and cloud solutions from select technology providers, and online, radio, and TV advertising. You earn 1x points on all other categories. You can also get a 25% return on points when you book a trip through American Express Travel.
Frequently asked questions
Can my employees also use this card?
Amex waives the $50 fee for the first year that allows you to get up to 99 employee credit cards that will also earn you points. If you’re looking to offload some responsibility to another employee, you can easily select someone to be an account manager.
What other perks does this card offer?
With the American Express Business Gold card you get access to standard perks such as baggage insurance, car rental insurance and trip delay insurance. You also get access to the Global Assist Hotline that can help you coordinate your trip.