US Closes Consular Agency in Playa del Carmen Due to Security Threat
The US has closed a consular agency in a popular resort area of Mexico over a security threat.
The US Embassy in Mexico issued a security alert on Wednesday that bars US government employees from traveling to Playa del Carmen. The Embassy says it received information about a security threat in the area.
Located on the Eastern Coast of Mexico, Playa del Carmen is filled with resorts and is near other frequented tourist destinations like Cancun and Cozumel.
Although the embassy did not provide any details on the threat, there was a bombing on a passenger ferry that runs between Playa del Carmen and Cozumel in February, which injured 25 people, including two Americans. Another explosive device was found on another ferry just a week later. Investigations are ongoing, and it’s unclear as to the reasons for the explosions.
“We take our obligation to provide information to U.S. citizens seriously as evidenced by the clear, timely, and reliable safety and security information we release worldwide,” State Department Spokesperson Heather Nauert told ABC News. The State Department will share “important updates when information becomes available.”
The US Consular Agency will be closed and US government employee travel restricted to the area until further notice.
The State Department has Mexico’s travel advisory at “Level 2: Exercise increased caution.” There are four levels of travel advisory, with Level 1 advising to exercise normal precautions, and the most severe is the “Level 4: Do not travel” advisory.
A high-profile shooting at a Playa Del Carmen nightclub in 2017 killed five people, including one American. The State Department has issued cautionary messages after multiple reports of tainted alcohol at resorts in Playa del Carmen and Cancun.
The embassy recommends three actions to take if you’re in Playa Del Carmen:
- Be aware of your surroundings and exercise caution.
- Purchase travel insurance that specifically covers you in Mexico and includes medical evacuation insurance.
- Contact the nearest US Embassy or Consulate if you need assistance.
H/T: ABC News
Featured image by STR/AFP/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees