United Is Now Selling Priority Boarding as an à la carte Option
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
United is now offering some fliers the opportunity to purchase priority boarding. With it, there’s no need to purchase the rest of the carrier’s Premier Access bundle package, which also includes priority check-in, security, boarding and baggage handling. If boarding early is the only important part to you, you can opt to purchase just that benefit — à la carte.
The optional benefit is new for United as of March 2. As first reported by Live and Let’s Fly and confirmed to TPG, United is offering the option to board in Group 2 of the boarding process to standard economy passengers for the initial price of $9. Availability for purchasing Group 2 boarding is controlled based on flight, date, time-of-day and day-of-week restrictions. So, the option won’t be available on every flight. In addition, the option isn’t available to passengers with a basic economy ticket — only those booked in standard economy.
United said that it doesn’t anticipate any significant impact on the current size of the group of passengers boarding in Group 2. The airline says that by adding the à la carte boarding option, it now offers its customers more options and makes it competitive with other airlines.
“Priority Boarding as a standalone product will offer choice to customers who want to board early yet do not want the full Premier Access product, primarily those with TSA PreCheck who do not need the security component,”Jennifer Cool-Perik, merchandising program manager, said.
This is a nice addition from United by adding the option for fliers who aren’t interested in purchasing the full package of Premier Access benefits. If you’re interested in making sure you can secure an overhead bin space, the boarding could be one to consider purchasing. With a starting fee of just $9, it’s reasonably priced. Unfortunately, however, the option isn’t available on every flight. If you’re interested in purchasing the benefit, you can do so during the booking process or when managing your current reservation on united.com.
Featured image by Zach Honig.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.