United Is Now Selling Priority Boarding as an à la carte Option
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
United is now offering some fliers the opportunity to purchase priority boarding. With it, there’s no need to purchase the rest of the carrier’s Premier Access bundle package, which also includes priority check-in, security, boarding and baggage handling. If boarding early is the only important part to you, you can opt to purchase just that benefit — à la carte.
The optional benefit is new for United as of March 2. As first reported by Live and Let’s Fly and confirmed to TPG, United is offering the option to board in Group 2 of the boarding process to standard economy passengers for the initial price of $9. Availability for purchasing Group 2 boarding is controlled based on flight, date, time-of-day and day-of-week restrictions. So, the option won’t be available on every flight. In addition, the option isn’t available to passengers with a basic economy ticket — only those booked in standard economy.
United said that it doesn’t anticipate any significant impact on the current size of the group of passengers boarding in Group 2. The airline says that by adding the à la carte boarding option, it now offers its customers more options and makes it competitive with other airlines.
“Priority Boarding as a standalone product will offer choice to customers who want to board early yet do not want the full Premier Access product, primarily those with TSA PreCheck who do not need the security component,”Jennifer Cool-Perik, merchandising program manager, said.
This is a nice addition from United by adding the option for fliers who aren’t interested in purchasing the full package of Premier Access benefits. If you’re interested in making sure you can secure an overhead bin space, the boarding could be one to consider purchasing. With a starting fee of just $9, it’s reasonably priced. Unfortunately, however, the option isn’t available on every flight. If you’re interested in purchasing the benefit, you can do so during the booking process or when managing your current reservation on united.com.
Featured image by Zach Honig.
WELCOME OFFER: 30,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: up to $100 annual CLEAR statement credit, up to $100 annual LoungeBuddy statement credit, 3x points on travel and transit, 3x points on restaurants worldwide
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 30,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $2,000 on purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on all eligible travel, from subway swipes and window seats to hotel stays and city tours.
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points at restaurants worldwide.
- Receive up to $100 per year in statement credits when you use the American Express® Green Card to pay for your CLEAR® membership at select airports and stadiums across the U.S. and Permissible Biometric Scanning Technology terms: eye scanning, irises scanning and fingerprints scanning.
- Use the American Express® Green Card to purchase lounge access through LoungeBuddy to any of the lounges in the LoungeBuddy network – no memberships, elite statuses, or first class tickets required. Earn up to $100 in statement credits per calendar year on your LoungeBuddy purchases.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $150 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees