See Everything You’re Flying Over With This App
In-flight entertainment just got a little more interesting with the Inflighto app — the app that allows passengers to get information on the landmarks, weather and other points of interest as they’re flying over them.
You no longer have to snag a window seat to see what’s going on 35,000 feet below. Inflighto consists of an interactive flyover map that identifies just what lies below you, miles down. Of course, most modern aircraft come equipped with a seat-back TV that has live maps, but those can only tell passengers their location, cruising altitude and speed.
In addition to doing everything the seat-back TV can do, Inflighto can also track weather, which will alert users to upcoming turbulence. There’s also a chat feature where passengers who are using the app on the same flight can chat, including crew members and pilots as well.
The creators of the app, two Australian pilots, hope that the crew members and pilots will use the app to interact with passengers when something interesting is happening outside the windows. The creators have said that the current in-flight maps are not adequate for true aviation enthusiasts.
The app will also be equipped to live marine tracking. When flying over a body of water, users can identify the names and occupations of the boats below. This feature, however, is only equipped with the premium version of the app. Inflighto users must connect to the aircraft’s Wi-Fi, which can be a costly option on some airlines.
The app is free to download in the Apple App Store and Google Play, but this gives users access to only the basic version. To access the premium features including the weather radar and in-flight chat, users must purchase the “Premium Economy” version of the app for $6.99 per year. For all features, users must purchase “Business Class” which costs $28.49 per year.
Featured photo by DaniloAndjus/Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.