See Everything You’re Flying Over With This App
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
In-flight entertainment just got a little more interesting with the Inflighto app — the app that allows passengers to get information on the landmarks, weather and other points of interest as they’re flying over them.
You no longer have to snag a window seat to see what’s going on 35,000 feet below. Inflighto consists of an interactive flyover map that identifies just what lies below you, miles down. Of course, most modern aircraft come equipped with a seat-back TV that has live maps, but those can only tell passengers their location, cruising altitude and speed.
In addition to doing everything the seat-back TV can do, Inflighto can also track weather, which will alert users to upcoming turbulence. There’s also a chat feature where passengers who are using the app on the same flight can chat, including crew members and pilots as well.
The creators of the app, two Australian pilots, hope that the crew members and pilots will use the app to interact with passengers when something interesting is happening outside the windows. The creators have said that the current in-flight maps are not adequate for true aviation enthusiasts.
The app will also be equipped to live marine tracking. When flying over a body of water, users can identify the names and occupations of the boats below. This feature, however, is only equipped with the premium version of the app. Inflighto users must connect to the aircraft’s Wi-Fi, which can be a costly option on some airlines.
The app is free to download in the Apple App Store and Google Play, but this gives users access to only the basic version. To access the premium features including the weather radar and in-flight chat, users must purchase the “Premium Economy” version of the app for $6.99 per year. For all features, users must purchase “Business Class” which costs $28.49 per year.
Featured photo by DaniloAndjus/Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees