A Passenger Fell Overboard on a Norwegian Cruise Ship and Was Rescued by Crew
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
A female passenger fell overboard on a Norwegian Epic cruise ship and was rescued by the ship’s crew Tuesday night.
The boat was sailing near the Bahamas when, around 9:00pm, an announcement came over the ship’s loudspeaker system three times: “Code Oscar portside.” The announcement means there is a passenger overboard.
One passenger on the cruise, Kareen Kennedy, was finishing dinner when the announcement occurred. “My server looked out my window, and just the way he looked out … I was about to order dessert, and I said, ‘What happened?’ He said, ‘Someone jumped off the ship,'” Kennedy told Florida Today.
Crew members then climbed into two rescue boats and descended from the ship to search for the unidentified female passenger using bright searchlights to scour the waves in the darkness. After a short time, the search party found the passenger in the water and brought her back on board to be evaluated in the ship’s medical center.
The passenger was in stable condition, and the captain diverted the ship so she could be transferred to a local hospital in Port Canaveral, Florida, for further medical attention. “They got in the water quickly,” Kennedy said. “It was only an hour’s delay from the time they announced it and stopped to when we started going back to Port Canaveral.”
The captain then got back on the loudspeaker to update the ship’s passengers. “They found the person in the water, and she was picked up and she’s now in the hospital. So everything is good there,” the captain said, according to Kennedy. “Just to let you know that we will soon be on our way up to Port Canaveral. We have to retrieve our tender boat that did the rescue operation, and then we will be on our way shortly.”
Norwegian Cruise Line said in a statement its thoughts and prayers were with the passenger and her family, and that its team is providing them assistance during the recovery process, Florida Today reports. “We are thankful that our team reacted quickly and was able to rescue the guest,” the statement said.
Featured image by Dimitrios Kambouris/Getty Images for Norwegian Cruise Line.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees