Is Oslo Airport City the Layover of the Future?
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Ever had the urge to kill time on a long layover with parachute rides or a dip in a swimming pool with a view of the airport’s runway?
Well, with Norway’s plans for Airport City in Oslo (OSL), those features will only scratch the surface on ways you can pass the time while traveling. The only catch is the 43-million-square-foot, sustainable city won’t be completed for another 30 years.
But, Oslo Airport City (OAC) seems like it might be worth the three decade wait. Haptic Architects and Nordic Office of Architecture recently unveiled their ambitious plans to build the futuristic city entirely from scratch. Running completely on renewable energy sources, the airport-adjacent city’s highlights include an activity park with climbing areas, a swimming arena, cycling routes and yes– even parachute rides over the city, Travel and Leisure reports.
Renderings also show plenty of green spaces and parks available to catch some fresh air in the middle of a bustling business and travel hub. There are designs for a vast lake and a car-free city center, but travelers will never be more than five minutes away from public transportation.
On the high-tech side of the spectrum, the city plans to offer driverless electric cars, auto-lighting, and “smart technology” for handling waste and security. Additionally, a big chunk of real estate (about 11-million-square-feet) will be zoned for mixed use retail space, offices, housing and other cultural and leisure spaces.
At the core of the project is the Norwegian government’s push for an economy run only on renewable resources. Part of that push, too, is government-owned Oslo Airport (OSL)’s goal to operate the first fleet of electric aircraft by 2025. The airport city will be a testing ground for new technologies and even plans to sell off surplus renewable energy to neighboring buildings and communities.
Construction of Oslo Airport City is set start sometime in 2019 or 2020, and the first buildings will begin to be completed around 2022.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees