Google Co-Founder Tests Self-Flying Taxis in New Zealand
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Say “Hi” to Cora, Google Co-Founder Larry Page’s newest baby.
Cora is the brainchild of California-based Kitty Hawk, an aviation company headed by Sebastian Thrun, who is the former director of Google X. The company’s mission is to bring fully electric, self-piloting aircraft into the public transportation realm.
“With our prototype air taxi Cora, we are applying eight years of research and development into an entirely new way to commute,” Kitty Hawk CEO Sebastian Thrun said. “We are excited to work with the people of New Zealand to work on this exciting new technology.”
Cora most closely resembles the lovechild of a small plane and a drone, combining electric power, self-piloting software and vertical take-off technology. The aircraft boasts a wingspan of 36 feet, with a dozen battery-powered rotor blades that allow the plane to take off like a helicopter, then fly like a plane. Cora combines electric power, self-piloting software, and vertical take-off technology similar to a helicopter in order to carry two passengers for about 60 miles as high as 3,000 feet off the ground at up to 110 mph.
Kitty Hawk has been testing Cora’s flight skills since October 2017, over New Zealand’s South Island. In contrast to Uber, which has been quite public about its ambitions to launch autonomous flying taxis in partnership with Embraer, Page and his partners have kept Kitty Hawk’s mission very private up until now. In fact, the company’s test flights have been operated under another name, New Zealand-based Zephyr Airworks. The Zephyr Airworks/Kitty Hawk partnership will allow the companies to begin pursuing the additional certification necessary to begin commercial service.
Within the United States, meeting the Federal Aviation Administration’s stringent safety requirements will be Cora’s biggest challenge. While the FAA allows test flights for self-flying aircraft, there are no prior guidelines for bringing this technology to the mainstream public.
Uber’s Embraer partnership in Uber Elevate isn’t Cora’s only competitor in the pilotless aviation space. Boeing purchased autonomous aircraft company Aurora Flight Sciences in November 2017; Airbus is investing in New York-based start-up Blade; and Chinese company EHang has partnered up with the city of Dubai to bring flying taxis to the United Arab Emirates.
As Kitty Hawk’s website tagline says, “Things are looking up.”
Featured photo by Richard Lord, via Kitty Hawk
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees