Is a Reading Retreat the Next Yoga Retreat?
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
In the past couple years, a new kind of retreat has been popping up and it doesn’t feature a spa or yoga, nor is it a creative writing getaway. Nope, it’s a reading retreat and there’s only one rule here: The reading room must be silent at all times. You don’t even have to BYOB (bring your own book).
People all around the world are turning to reading retreats as the next form of ultimate relaxation. Cressida Downing and Sara Noel started their own Reading Retreat in the United Kingdom and have had great success with book worms from all over the world. Visitors pay about $600 for a three-night stay in one of their cozy accommodations, including all meals, a published author at each stay and a tailored reading prescription although guests are allowed and encouraged to bring any book they’d like.
The Reading Retreat is not like reading at home or going on vacation and reading in your hotel room. As one guest told the BBC: “This is about giving myself permission to prioritize my reading. If I stayed home, I’d always be thinking that I should be doing other things — seeing friends, writing, cleaning, knitting.”
A 2014 study conducted in the UK reported that 41% of 25-39-year-olds were reading for pleasure less than they used to, and that nearly a quarter of adults in the UK hadn’t read one book for pleasure in the previous year. Experts suggest that people are distracted by screens in the digital age — but don’t fret, phones are allowed at the Reading Retreat, although the founders do encourage a digital detox and offer to confiscate phones and tablets upon arrival.
At the retreat, readers are encouraged to dive into their books whenever and wherever they like — even at the dinner table.
“Reading is not a passive thing,” Downing told the BBC. “Reading is about engaging and connecting. And reading, as scientists have discovered, does wonderful things for your brain and longevity and health so really, we’re probably better for you than a spa.”
H/T: BBC News
Featured image by @andrewkuttler via Twenty20
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees