Munich Airport Has a Humanoid Robot Talking to Passengers
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Flying through Munich Airport? Be sure to stop by Terminal 2 and say hello to Josie the Robot. Josie Pepper is the first humanoid robot ever tested at an airport in Germany. Starting today, February 15, the nearly four-foot-tall robotic helper will welcome travelers to the non-public area of Terminal 2, which is jointly operated by Munich Airport (MUC) and Lufthansa.
According to a statement released by Lufthansa, Josie Pepper speaks English and is well-equipped to answer questions about flight operations, restaurants and shops. Whether travelers are in need of directions to a duty-free shop or a departure gate, Josie is ready and able to answer. For now, the robot is in a test phase.
Josie is powered by a high-performance processor with a WLAN internet access which is linked to airport data. She was developed by SoftBank Robotics, a French company which owns Aldebaran Robotics, the same manufacturers behind EVA Air’s robot lounge assistant in Taipei’s Taiwan Taoyuan Airport (TPE).
According to Munich Airport, what sets the system apart is that “when this robot type speaks, it does not just deliver pre-defined texts. With its ability to learn, it answers each question individually. Just like a real brain, the system gets steadily better at combining questions with the relevant information to provide more precise replies.”
The robot has been programmed so that it can sense any query by simply looking into the eyes of passenger, and can promptly guide them as needed. Humanoid robots like Josie are no stranger to airports around the world. In Japan and other countries, Josie’s robot colleagues are often seen in shops, hotels and airports, where they welcome customers and answer inquiries.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees