Airport Breaks Its Own Record for Most Flights From One Runway in a Day: 980
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
India’s skies are filling up quickly with airplanes. Its domestic air market grew at a jaw-dropping 17.4% rate from 2016 to 2017. Currently it’s a market of around 120 million flyers, and the International Air Transport Association (IATA) expects that number to grow to 278 million by 2026. The world’s best performing airline stock is SpiceJet, a domestic Indian airline, currently up over 570% since the beginning of 2015.
The trouble is, India’s airport infrastructure is struggling to keep up.
Mumbai’s Chhatrapati Shivaji International Airport (BOM) is the second busiest airport in India, only behind Delhi’s Indira Gandhi International Airport (DEL). Mumbai’s airport has two intersecting runways, which it tried to use simultaneously until it scrapped that plan in 2013. Since then, it almost always uses just one runway. (Runway 09/27, for AvGeeks — meaning it’s oriented straight East /West.)
And, with an airport that carries 45 million passengers per year, that runway gets a ton of use. In fact, it’s the world record holder for most flights operated by one runway during a 24-hour period. And, it just broke its own record.
On January 20, the 09/27 runway at BOM handled 980 aircraft movements. That’s nearly 41 flights per hour across the 24-hour period. That beats the airport’s previous record of 974 flights in 24 hours achieved on December 6.
In order to handle this many flights in a 24-hour period, BOM’s Runway 09/27 requires 24-hour operations. While Mumbai holds the record for most flights in a 24-hour period, there are other runways that are more efficient per operating hour. As pointed out by the International Business Times, London Gatwick Airport (LGW)’s single operating runway will handle as many as 870 flights in its 19-hour operating window from 5am to midnight. That’s almost 46 flights per hour, beating BOM’s average of just under 41 per hour.
Featured image by Education Images / Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees