This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
New Zealand‘s Waitomo Caves are a little different than your average cavern. Formed by limestone with a maze of underground rivers and sinkholes, the caves are filled with thousands of glowworms that dangle from the ceiling and sides. They radiate a warm glow that illuminates the the whole cave.
This particular glowworm species can’t be spotted just anywhere — the Arachnocampa luminosa only exists in New Zealand.
A guided visit to the cave starts with a stop at the Visitor’s Center, followed by a walk through the Catacombs and the Tomo — a 50-foot shaft of limestone — and then down to the Banquet Chamber, where you may be able to see a towering limestone formation called the Pipe Organ (this is sometimes closed to the public because of carbon monoxide buildup). You’ll end up at the Cathedral, a platform known for its acoustics — performers have actually held concerts here! Finally, you’ll get to see the glowworm grotto by cruising in a boat along the subterranean Waitomo River. The only source of light here is the radiant light produced by the glowworms.
Today, the caves are partially owned by the the local Māori tribes who participate in their upkeep, management and development.
The Waitomo Caves are located 125 miles away from New Zealand’s largest city, Auckland. You can hire transport or rent a car to get to the caves from the city.
From the United States, you can fly nonstop to Auckland (AKL) with Air New Zealand (voted the world’s top airline in 2017) from San Francisco (SFO), Houston (IAH), Los Angeles (LAX) and Honolulu (HNL). Hawaiian Airlines also flies nonstop from Honolulu.
Although United wasn’t voted the world’s top airline, if you can manage to find Saver award availability, you could potentially get to Auckland and back for just 80,000 United MileagePlus miles in economy.
Featured photo by MarcelStrelow/Getty Images
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees