6.4 Earthquake Strikes Near One of Taiwan’s Top Travel Destinations
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
A 6.4-magnitude earthquake struck about 13 miles off Hualien County on the east coast of Taiwan at 11:50 pm on Tuesday, February 6. Hualien City continues to experience a number of strong aftershocks, according to the United States Geological Survey. No tsunami warnings have been issued at this time. Thus far, two deaths have been reported, and more than 140 people have been injured by the earthquake and subsequent damage.
Light shaking from the initial earthquake was felt as far north as the capital, Taipei City, about 74 miles northwest of Hualien.
Hualien, Taiwan’s largest county by land size, is a popular tourist destination with visitors seeking nature-based adventure.
The 270-room Marshal Hotel in Hualien collapsed soon after the initial quake, which was followed by severe aftershocks which each exceeded 5.0 magnitude. The first three floors of the hotel were completely flattened by the collapse. Cellphone video from locals show the pillars of the hotel collapsing to the ground, with initial reports of more than 30 people trapped inside.
Another hotel known as the Beautiful Life Hotel is also tilting precariously, according to the Hualien Fire Agency, while at least five other buildings in the area have suffered structural damage. Nearly 2,000 homes in the region have lost power, and two bridges in Hualien City have been closed off after damage from multiple landslides.
Travel to most regions of Taiwan should still be safe, as Taoyuan International Airport (TPE), Taiwan’s primary international airport, lies more than 70 miles northwest from the earthquake epicenter.
Travelers headed to Hualien or the east coast of Taiwan should take precautions and check local news sources before entering the region, traveling by train, or hiking on mountain trails until authorities declare them safe.
Taiwan experiences a significant amount of seismic activity each year due to its position in the Pacific Ring of Fire, at the western edge of the Philippine Sea Plate. According to Earthquake Track, the island has experienced 57 earthquakes over the past year, with 15 of those occuring within the past 7 days. Tuesday night’s 6.4-magnitude earthquake was the strongest within the past year.
Featured photo by PAUL YANG/AFP/Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.