6.4 Earthquake Strikes Near One of Taiwan’s Top Travel Destinations
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
A 6.4-magnitude earthquake struck about 13 miles off Hualien County on the east coast of Taiwan at 11:50 pm on Tuesday, February 6. Hualien City continues to experience a number of strong aftershocks, according to the United States Geological Survey. No tsunami warnings have been issued at this time. Thus far, two deaths have been reported, and more than 140 people have been injured by the earthquake and subsequent damage.
Light shaking from the initial earthquake was felt as far north as the capital, Taipei City, about 74 miles northwest of Hualien.
Hualien, Taiwan’s largest county by land size, is a popular tourist destination with visitors seeking nature-based adventure.
The 270-room Marshal Hotel in Hualien collapsed soon after the initial quake, which was followed by severe aftershocks which each exceeded 5.0 magnitude. The first three floors of the hotel were completely flattened by the collapse. Cellphone video from locals show the pillars of the hotel collapsing to the ground, with initial reports of more than 30 people trapped inside.
Another hotel known as the Beautiful Life Hotel is also tilting precariously, according to the Hualien Fire Agency, while at least five other buildings in the area have suffered structural damage. Nearly 2,000 homes in the region have lost power, and two bridges in Hualien City have been closed off after damage from multiple landslides.
Travel to most regions of Taiwan should still be safe, as Taoyuan International Airport (TPE), Taiwan’s primary international airport, lies more than 70 miles northwest from the earthquake epicenter.
Travelers headed to Hualien or the east coast of Taiwan should take precautions and check local news sources before entering the region, traveling by train, or hiking on mountain trails until authorities declare them safe.
Taiwan experiences a significant amount of seismic activity each year due to its position in the Pacific Ring of Fire, at the western edge of the Philippine Sea Plate. According to Earthquake Track, the island has experienced 57 earthquakes over the past year, with 15 of those occuring within the past 7 days. Tuesday night’s 6.4-magnitude earthquake was the strongest within the past year.
Featured photo by PAUL YANG/AFP/Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees