Delta Sued by Port Authority for 2015 Runway Skid at LGA
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey sued Delta Air Lines on Tuesday for damages at New York’s Laguardia Airport (LGA) after an airplane skidded off a runway in 2015.
The skid happened during a March 5, 2015 snowstorm when Flight 1086 slid off of LGA’s runway 13. But, the Port Authority, which runs the airport, says the incident “was caused solely by the negligence of Delta and its agents,” which includes the airplane’s pilot, Reuters reports.
The lawsuit seeks $750,047 in damages to airport property, including a fence the MD-88 aircraft hit before rolling to a stop with its nose teetering on the edge that separates the runway from Flushing Bay.
According to the National Transportation Safety Board, the MD-88’s left wing destroyed about 940 feet of the perimeter fence. There were no serious injuries as a result of the incident, but NTSB Chairman Christopher Hart said it was “a very close call,” AP reported in 2016.
An NTSB investigation found that the pilot used too much reverse thrust, one of the plane’s braking mechanisms, and the combination of excessive thrust and slippery conditions resulted in an “inability to maintain directional control.” That investigation also found that the crew waited too long to evacuate the flight’s 127 passengers, as the plane was leaking fuel after the collision.
The lawsuit was filed in the New York State Supreme Court in Manhattan.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees