This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
If you have a Hilton co-branded Citi credit card, its days are numbered. As announced late last year, the hotel chain is dropping Citi in favor of a partnership with a single issuer: Amex.
If you have a Citi Hilton Honors Card or Citi Hilton Honors Reserve Card, it will be automatically transitioned to a Hilton co-branded Amex credit card by the end of January 2018. Here are answers to all the questions you may have as a Citi Hilton cardholder.
Q: When will I get my new Hilton Amex card?
A: Amex has already started sending out the new Hilton Amex cards to existing Hilton Citi cardholders, so if you haven’t received yours in the mail yet, it should arrive in the next week or two.
Q: Which card will I get as a replacement?
A: This depends on which Citi Hilton card you currently hold. If you have the Citi Hilton Honors Card, you’ll receive the no-fee Hilton Honors American Express Card. And if you have the Citi Hilton Honors Reserve Card, you’ll be transitioned to the Hilton Honors Ascend Card — one of three new Hilton cards Amex will launch this month. If you want to switch to a different card (to take advantage of a higher bonus category multiplier, for instance), contact Amex after you receive your new Hilton card.
Q: Will I be eligible for a sign-up bonus on my new card?
A: No, because you’re an existing cardholder transitioning to a different card, you won’t be eligible for a sign-up bonus.
Q: When can I start using my new Hilton Amex?
A: Citi Hilton cardholders can start using their Hilton Amex cards on January 30 — which is a bit confusing, since you’ll likely receive your replacement Amex card before that date. So basically, don’t throw out your Citi Hilton card till the end of the month, unless you weren’t planning on making any purchases with either the Citi or Amex Hilton cards.
Q: What will happen to my Citi Hilton card’s balance once I receive the Amex?
A: It will move over to your new Amex account, naturally!
Q: Will my card account number change?
A: Yes, it will — as will the account numbers of any authorized users you have on your Citi Hilton card(s).
Q: What if I already have a Hilton Amex or Hilton Amex Surpass card?
A: You’ll still get an additional one if you have a Citi Hilton card that’s being converted. You can contact Amex to learn about the options you have for your account after your account is transferred.
The switchover from Citi Hilton cards to Amex Hilton cards should be pretty seamless; you’ll get your new Amex card in the next few weeks, and can begin using it on January 30. You’ll want to add your Amex Hilton card to your AmericanExpress.com account or create a new one on January 30. Until January 30, 2018, Citi cardholders can continue to access their account online at Citi.com. However, after January 25 only limited online functionality will be available to Citi cardholders whose accounts are transferring to American Express. You can find additional information on the FAQ page here.
If you aren’t an existing Citi Hilton cardholder but are interested in the upcoming Hilton Amex cards, keep an eye out for those to launch on January 18. We don’t yet have info on the cards’ sign-up bonuses, so stay tuned.
Featured photo by Shutterstock.com
LIMITED TIME OFFER. Aside from the 100,000 points welcome bonus (available until 8/8/18), Amex recently made huge improvements to the Business Platinum Card, including the fact that you will now earn 50% more points on purchases of $5,000 or more, earn 5x on flights and eligible hotels at Amextravel.com and cardholders will receive a $200 airline fee credit each year.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn up to 100,000 Membership Rewards® Points.
- Earn 50,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $10,000 & an extra 50,000 points after you spend an additional $15,000 all on qualifying purchases within your first 3 months of Card Membership. Offer ends 8/8/18.†
- Get 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights and prepaid hotels on amextravel.com.
- Get 50% more Membership Rewards® points. That's 1.5 points per dollar, on each eligible purchase of $5,000 or more. You can get up to 1 million additional points per year.
- 35% Airline Bonus: Use Membership Rewards® Pay with Points for all or part of a flight with your selected qualifying airline, and you can get 35% of the points back, up to 500,000 bonus points per calendar year.
- You can also receive 35% points back on all First and Business class flights, with all airlines available through American Express Travel.
- You can enjoy access to The American Express Global Lounge Collection℠ offering access to the most lounges across the globe, when compared with other U.S. credit card offerings. As of 11/2017
- Terms Apply
- See Rates & Fees