This May Be the Most Relaxing Airport in the World
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Contrary to what its decor might suggest, this beautiful spot is neither a spiritual sanctuary nor a high-end spa: It’s Skukuza Airport (SZK) in South Africa.
Skukuza serves as the gateway to a number of national parks and reserves, most notably Kruger National Park. With just a handful of direct flights connecting Skukuza to Johannesburg and Cape Town each day, this quiet airport offers tranquillity in lieu of the usual travel chaos. Most flights are on 12-seat Cessna Caravans, and none are on airplanes larger than 50 seats, so gate agents personally escort travelers to the tarmac. The airport offers free Wi-Fi across the grounds, and the non-traditional experience includes luxurious amenities in the bathrooms, as well as an open-air courtyard with a pond.
Skukuza is jointly owned by Lion Sands Game Reserve; Federal Airlines, a private charter carrier; and Airlink, a subsidiary of Star Alliance member South African Airways. The commercial flights connect passengers between seven cities including Johannesburg and Cape Town, while chartered shuttles ferry guests from the airport to private safari lodges with their own runways.
The airport was established in 1958, named James Stevenson – Hamilton after the first warden of Kruger National Park, and underwent a full revamp in 2014. The update seems to have been a success: Mkhuze Airport (MZQ), also located in South Africa, is about to follow suit with an upgrade of its own.
If you’d like to visit Skukuza, tickets begin at just $150 one-way from Johannesburg, but if you’re booking with miles, beware that Star Alliance travelers have reported a mixed-bag experience trying to book Airlink flights using partner miles.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees