Skies Empty Out Over Northeast as Massive Blizzard Cancels 3,300+ Flights
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
How do mass flight cancellations affect the number of flights on a radar? We saw this impact during Hurricane Irma when airlines evacuated all aircraft from Florida, and again when the skies cleared out after Hurricane Maria struck Puerto Rico.
Now today, we are getting a chance to see how it looks when a blizzard cancels over 3,300 flights on Thursday — including more than half of all flights from major airports Newark (EWR), Boston (BOS) and New York’s LaGuardia (LGA).
For reference, here are all of the FlightRadar24-tracked flights Wednesday at 11:00am Eastern (16:00UTC):
That’s a solid amount of air traffic for midday and mid-week after the holiday rush has subsided. There are clear hubs of activity around New York City’s three airports (JFK/LGA/EWR), Philadelphia (PHL) and Boston (BOS), with transiting traffic making its way through the area.
Exactly 24 hours later at 11:00am Eastern (16:00UTC) Thursday, the FlightRadar24 map is strikingly empty:
Areas around New York City, Philadelphia and Boston are virtually empty of air traffic, due in no small part to the fact that JFK airport has been shuttered for the storm:
It’s not often that there’s just a handful of flights flying around this busy corridor, so let’s take a look at who’s in the air.
One of the few planes passing through the area is a UPS cargo flight from Philadelphia (PHL) to Cologne, Germany (CGN), located next to New Haven at the time of the snapshot.
The small plane just north of NYC is a Gulfstream IV which departed out of Westchester County Airport (HPN), a private jet perhaps carrying passengers who absolutely, positively needed to get somewhere despite the storm.
Next to that plane is an Air Canada Rouge flight operating through the nearly-empty air space flying from Toronto (YYZ) to Kingstown, St. Vincent and the Grenadines (SVD).
The blizzard is also affecting The Points Guy team directly. One of the many thousand flights cancelled out of New York City includes a flight from JFK to San Juan, Puerto Rico scheduled to carry TPG team members down to our service project there this weekend. More on that soon!
Featured image by JT Genter / The Points Guy
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees