Deadly Flu Season Hits Its Peak, Says CDC
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
If it seems like everyone around you is sick, it might be because according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) we are in peak flu season, and one which started earlier than normal and has brought with it a particularly nasty strain of the H3N2 virus — especially for children and senior citizens.
The virus has been so bad this season, it’s being labeled an epidemic and has caused school cancellations in five states across the country. It’s also been the cause of 20 flu-related deaths since the season began on Oct. 1 2017.
“Based on the latest available data, the United States could be experiencing one of the most severe flu seasons in years,” writes NPR. And as of this week, it’s thought that the US has several more weeks to go, warns the agency.
The CDC is reporting “high flu activity” in the following states: Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, Missouri, Nebraska, Nevada, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, South Carolina, Texas, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia and Wyoming.
“Lots of cases [are] happening, in lots of states, all at the same time,” said the director of the CDC’s Influenza Division in the National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases (NCIRD), Dr. Daniel B. Jernigan, on “Good Morning America” Wednesday.
Those with flu-like symptoms should get to the doctor within 48 hours, the window when antiviral drugs have the best shot at treating the illness. For tips on how to safe healthy while traveling, check out this article.
Photo: Troy Ali, 21 of Portland receives a flu shot from Greater Portland Health medical assistant Anissa Millette. (Photo by Carl D. Walsh/Portland Press Herald via Getty Images)
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees