Newark Airport Travelers Exposed to Measles for 11 Hours
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Health officials are sounding the alarm that travelers through Newark Liberty International Airport (EWR) were exposed to the measles in early January of this year.
On January 2, 2018, a traveler with a confirmed case of the highly contagious disease arrived in Newark from an international flight. The New Jersey Department of Health statement notes that the traveler was “infectious on that day” when she arrived into Terminal C. After a layover, she “departed for Indianapolis from a domestic terminal,” but “may have traveled to other areas of the airport.”
Due to the unknown extent of the exposure, the NJDOH is warning all travelers that were at the airport between 6:30am and 5:30pm on January 2 that they “may have been exposed to measles, and if infected could develop symptoms as late as January 23.” The department isn’t sharing the traveler’s flight information, but notes that “local health departments are also working to notify New Jersey residents who were identified as potentially exposed on the ill individual’s flights.”
Measles symptoms include rash, high fever, cough, runny nose and red, watery eyes. If you were traveling through Newark on January 2 and have these symptoms, NJDOH recommends that you “call a health care provider before going to a medical office or emergency department.” That will give the medical provider a chance to prepare to evaluate you without further spreading the highly contagious disease.
Measles spreads via coughing and sneezing, and the virus can live for “up to two hours in an airspace where the infected person coughed or sneezed.” According to the CDC, measles is so contagious that if one person has it, 90% of the people close to that person who are not immune will also become infected.”
Those that are current on their measles/mumps/rubella (MMR) vaccine should be protected from any possible exposure. That’s why New Jersey state epidemiologist Christina Tan recommends that everyone stay up to date on their vaccines:
Two doses of measles vaccine are about 97 percent effective in preventing measles. We urge everyone to check to make sure they and their family members are up-to-date on measles/mumps/rubella (MMR) vaccines and all other age-appropriate immunizations. Getting vaccinated not only protects you, it protects others around you who are too young to get the vaccine or can’t receive it for medical reasons. If you’re planning an international trip, the World Health Organization recommends that adults or adolescents unsure of their immune status get a dose of measles vaccine before traveling.
Featured image by Ronaldo Schemidt / Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees