This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
New York’s JFK airport continues to suffer from some major ill effects in the aftermath of the bomb cyclone that hit the eastern coast of the US over the last few days. The airport has more planes landing than it has gates operating, resulting in some aircraft waiting on the tarmac for hours after touching down. Then to make matters worse, last night the wing tip of a China Southern 777 struck the tail end of a Kuwait Airways 777, causing damage to both aircraft.
Immediately following the cyclone, the airport was hampered by a number of gates being unusable due to being blocked by snow, along with the cold weather making operations at the airport run slower overall. Also, some planes that had been diverted away from JFK repositioned to the airport after the cyclone cleared, increasing overall traffic.
While it’s understandable that it would take some time for the airport to come back up to speed after more than 1,100 cancelled flights over Thursday and Friday, the delays for people on the ground waiting for a gate reached a completely unacceptable level. Air China Flight 989 landed at JFK from Beijing (PEK) at almost exactly midnight Eastern time, but as of 5:30am, it hadn’t yet made it to a gate. Passengers stuck on the flight took to social media to vent their frustrations:
The Air China 777 passengers finally got off the plane around 7am Eastern time this morning:
As of this morning, some flights enroute to JFK were being diverted back to their origin cities because of the airport’s capacity problems. However, many more flights were still on their way.
Things got worse when the collision involving those two 777w happened, near Terminal 4, which the Port Authority Police Department tweeted about:
The Port Authority told the New York Daily News that no passengers were on the China Southern plane, and though there were some passengers on the Kuwait Airways aircraft, no injuries were reported. Both planes were taken out of service after the incident.
Featured image by FlightRadar24 via Twitter.
LIMITED TIME OFFER. Aside from the 100,000 points welcome bonus (available until 8/8/18), Amex recently made huge improvements to the Business Platinum Card, including the fact that you will now earn 50% more points on purchases of $5,000 or more, earn 5x on flights and eligible hotels at Amextravel.com and cardholders will receive a $200 airline fee credit each year.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn up to 100,000 Membership Rewards® Points.
- Earn 50,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $10,000 & an extra 50,000 points after you spend an additional $15,000 all on qualifying purchases within your first 3 months of Card Membership. Offer ends 8/8/18.†
- Get 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights and prepaid hotels on amextravel.com.
- Get 50% more Membership Rewards® points. That's 1.5 points per dollar, on each eligible purchase of $5,000 or more. You can get up to 1 million additional points per year.
- 35% Airline Bonus: Use Membership Rewards® Pay with Points for all or part of a flight with your selected qualifying airline, and you can get 35% of the points back, up to 500,000 bonus points per calendar year.
- You can also receive 35% points back on all First and Business class flights, with all airlines available through American Express Travel.
- You can enjoy access to The American Express Global Lounge Collection℠ offering access to the most lounges across the globe, when compared with other U.S. credit card offerings. As of 11/2017
- Terms Apply
- See Rates & Fees