Lufthansa’s Unveiling a Brand-New Livery Next Month
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
As with all major airlines, Lufthansa’s livery has evolved over the years. But one element has remained more or less unchanged since its inception in 1918: the crane.
Graphic designer and architect Otto Firle is credited with designing the carrier’s famous trademark nearly a century ago, and in celebration of the iconic design’s 100th anniversary, Lufthansa is now gearing up to unveil an entirely new livery at an event next month, on Wednesday, February 7.
While the refresh remains a closely guarded secret for now, we don’t have long to wait to see what’s in store. In a statement, an airline representative confirmed the launch date, adding that there will be events in both Frankfurt and Munich.
Lufthansa, under the #ExploreTheNew, is celebrating the 100th anniversary of the crane as a historical trademark and at the same time looking towards the future. On this occasion, events will take place on Wednesday, 7 February for Lufthansa employees and external guests in Frankfurt and Munich. No further details are available right now.
The crane has appeared in every Lufthansa color scheme, such as the livery with which the airline began flying again in the 1950s after World War II. Some years ago, it applied those colors to an Airbus A321, to commemorate its 50th anniversary:
Lufthansa’s commitment to the crane goes far beyond graphic design, though — the carrier is also credited with founding Crane Protection Germany, an organization tasked with protecting this vulnerable bird. The airline adds:
The Lufthansa Group stands for responsible mobility, networking, and world-wide connections. The crane symbolizes this perfectly. It knows no limits and illustrates fascinating capabilities: With a tailwind, it can travel up to 100 kilometres an hour and can even fly up to approximately 2,000 kilometres non-stop, and extremely efficiently at that.
The crane also makes an appearance in content geared toward Lufthansa’s younger flyers — there’s even an “exclusive interview” with Lu and Cosmo, two of the airline’s high-flying mascots.
We’ll be back with the full scoop on February 7 — until then, you can catch up on Lufthansa’s current livery and aesthetic in our reviews below:
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.