Lufthansa’s Unveiling a Brand-New Livery Next Month
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
As with all major airlines, Lufthansa’s livery has evolved over the years. But one element has remained more or less unchanged since its inception in 1918: the crane.
Graphic designer and architect Otto Firle is credited with designing the carrier’s famous trademark nearly a century ago, and in celebration of the iconic design’s 100th anniversary, Lufthansa is now gearing up to unveil an entirely new livery at an event next month, on Wednesday, February 7.
While the refresh remains a closely guarded secret for now, we don’t have long to wait to see what’s in store. In a statement, an airline representative confirmed the launch date, adding that there will be events in both Frankfurt and Munich.
Lufthansa, under the #ExploreTheNew, is celebrating the 100th anniversary of the crane as a historical trademark and at the same time looking towards the future. On this occasion, events will take place on Wednesday, 7 February for Lufthansa employees and external guests in Frankfurt and Munich. No further details are available right now.
The crane has appeared in every Lufthansa color scheme, such as the livery with which the airline began flying again in the 1950s after World War II. Some years ago, it applied those colors to an Airbus A321, to commemorate its 50th anniversary:
Lufthansa’s commitment to the crane goes far beyond graphic design, though — the carrier is also credited with founding Crane Protection Germany, an organization tasked with protecting this vulnerable bird. The airline adds:
The Lufthansa Group stands for responsible mobility, networking, and world-wide connections. The crane symbolizes this perfectly. It knows no limits and illustrates fascinating capabilities: With a tailwind, it can travel up to 100 kilometres an hour and can even fly up to approximately 2,000 kilometres non-stop, and extremely efficiently at that.
The crane also makes an appearance in content geared toward Lufthansa’s younger flyers — there’s even an “exclusive interview” with Lu and Cosmo, two of the airline’s high-flying mascots.
We’ll be back with the full scoop on February 7 — until then, you can catch up on Lufthansa’s current livery and aesthetic in our reviews below:
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees