Signing Up For Instant Amex Centurion Lounge Access
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here.
Following delay after delay during this week’s round of winter storms, my colleague Joel S. ended up getting stuck at New York’s LaGuardia (LGA) Airport. Sadly, he didn’t have lounge access, so he initially endured the main terminal area — before giving up and searching for a Plan B.
Fortunately, there’s an Amex Centurion Lounge at LaGuardia — after a decent dinner and a few speciality cocktails, it’s easy to forget that you’re stuck in an airport, let alone in the middle of a perpetual delay.
Post from RICOH THETA. – Spherical Image – RICOH THETA
Joel had one issue, though: He didn’t have a card that would get him in. Given that he planned to add The Platinum Card from American Express — and the fact that he was stuck at LGA indefinitely without lounge access — he decided to try his luck with a mobile application, hoping that one way or another he’d be able to get into the Centurion Lounge.
As it turns out, Joel was instantly approved, and was presented with the option to view his card number right away.
Joel took a screenshot of his new account number and headed to the lounge. The staff had apparently never seen an instant temporary card like the one Joel received, but they verified his account and let him in nonetheless.
It worked the next day as well — Joel’s flight ended up getting canceled, forcing an overnight stay near LGA, and when Joel returned to the lounge the next morning, he was already known to the morning crew, who had received a memo covering his virtual card visit the evening before. So it should be smooth sailing if you visit with a virtual card of your own — at the LaGuardia location, at the very least.
While you’re certainly not guaranteed an instant approval — or a temporary card even if you are approved on the spot — this is definitely an option to consider if you find yourself in need of access to a Centurion Lounge. Also note that I’ve successfully entered Centurion Lounges several times just by providing my social security number, and if your account is approved and active right away, an agent may be able to confirm your eligibility without the need to display a card at all.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 75,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,500
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, up to $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber savings annually (only for use in the U.S.) (Enrollment required for select benefits)
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 75,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $5,000 on purchases on your new Card in your first 6 months of Card Membership.
- Earn 10x points on eligible purchases on your new Card at U.S. Gas Stations and U.S. Supermarkets, on up to $15,000 in combined purchases, during your first 6 months of Card Membership. That’s an additional 9 points on top of the 1 point you earn for these purchases.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and up to $200 in Uber savings on rides or eats orders in the US annually. Uber Cash and Uber VIP status is available to Basic Card Member and Additional Centurion Cards only.
- Earn 5X Membership Rewards® Points for flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel. Starting January 1, 2021, earn 5X points on up to $500,000 on these purchases per calendar year.
- 5X Membership Rewards® Points on prepaid hotels booked with American Express Travel.
- Enjoy complimentary access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits through American Express Travel with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts® program at over 1,100 properties. Learn More.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. That’s up to $50 in statement credits semi-annually. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees