Signing Up For Instant Amex Centurion Lounge Access
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Following delay after delay during this week’s round of winter storms, my colleague Joel S. ended up getting stuck at New York’s LaGuardia (LGA) Airport. Sadly, he didn’t have lounge access, so he initially endured the main terminal area — before giving up and searching for a Plan B.
Fortunately, there’s an Amex Centurion Lounge at LaGuardia — after a decent dinner and a few speciality cocktails, it’s easy to forget that you’re stuck in an airport, let alone in the middle of a perpetual delay.
Post from RICOH THETA. – Spherical Image – RICOH THETA
Joel had one issue, though: He didn’t have a card that would get him in. Given that he planned to add The Platinum Card from American Express — and the fact that he was stuck at LGA indefinitely without lounge access — he decided to try his luck with a mobile application, hoping that one way or another he’d be able to get into the Centurion Lounge.
As it turns out, Joel was instantly approved, and was presented with the option to view his card number right away.
Joel took a screenshot of his new account number and headed to the lounge. The staff had apparently never seen an instant temporary card like the one Joel received, but they verified his account and let him in nonetheless.
It worked the next day as well — Joel’s flight ended up getting canceled, forcing an overnight stay near LGA, and when Joel returned to the lounge the next morning, he was already known to the morning crew, who had received a memo covering his virtual card visit the evening before. So it should be smooth sailing if you visit with a virtual card of your own — at the LaGuardia location, at the very least.
While you’re certainly not guaranteed an instant approval — or a temporary card even if you are approved on the spot — this is definitely an option to consider if you find yourself in need of access to a Centurion Lounge. Also note that I’ve successfully entered Centurion Lounges several times just by providing my social security number, and if your account is approved and active right away, an agent may be able to confirm your eligibility without the need to display a card at all.
- Earn up to 70,000 bonus miles. Earn 60,000 bonus miles after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Plus, earn an additional 10,000 bonus miles after your first anniversary of Card Membership. Offer Expires 4/1/2020.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free and Main Cabin 1 Priority Boarding on Delta flights.
- New! Get ready for your next trip - spend $10,000 in purchases on your card in a calendar year and receive a $100 Delta Flight Credit to get you there sooner.
- Earn 2X Miles on Delta purchases, at restaurants worldwide and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a 20% savings in the form of a statement credit after you use your Card on eligible Delta in-flight purchases of food, beverages, and audio headsets.
- Enjoy a $0 introductory annual fee for the first year, then $99.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees