Signing Up For Instant Amex Centurion Lounge Access
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here.
Following delay after delay during this week’s round of winter storms, my colleague Joel S. ended up getting stuck at New York’s LaGuardia (LGA) Airport. Sadly, he didn’t have lounge access, so he initially endured the main terminal area — before giving up and searching for a Plan B.
Fortunately, there’s an Amex Centurion Lounge at LaGuardia — after a decent dinner and a few speciality cocktails, it’s easy to forget that you’re stuck in an airport, let alone in the middle of a perpetual delay.
Post from RICOH THETA. – Spherical Image – RICOH THETA
Joel had one issue, though: He didn’t have a card that would get him in. Given that he planned to add The Platinum Card from American Express — and the fact that he was stuck at LGA indefinitely without lounge access — he decided to try his luck with a mobile application, hoping that one way or another he’d be able to get into the Centurion Lounge.
As it turns out, Joel was instantly approved, and was presented with the option to view his card number right away.
Joel took a screenshot of his new account number and headed to the lounge. The staff had apparently never seen an instant temporary card like the one Joel received, but they verified his account and let him in nonetheless.
It worked the next day as well — Joel’s flight ended up getting canceled, forcing an overnight stay near LGA, and when Joel returned to the lounge the next morning, he was already known to the morning crew, who had received a memo covering his virtual card visit the evening before. So it should be smooth sailing if you visit with a virtual card of your own — at the LaGuardia location, at the very least.
While you’re certainly not guaranteed an instant approval — or a temporary card even if you are approved on the spot — this is definitely an option to consider if you find yourself in need of access to a Centurion Lounge. Also note that I’ve successfully entered Centurion Lounges several times just by providing my social security number, and if your account is approved and active right away, an agent may be able to confirm your eligibility without the need to display a card at all.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 100,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $2,000
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, up to $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber Cash annually (only for use in the U.S.) (Enrollment required for select benefits)
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 100,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $6,000 on purchases on your new Card in your first 6 months of Card Membership. Apply and select your preferred metal Card design: classic Platinum Card®, Platinum x Kehinde Wiley, or Platinum x Julie Mehretu.
- Earn 5X Membership Rewards® Points for flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel up to $500,000 on these purchases per calendar year and earn 5X Membership Rewards® Points on prepaid hotels booked with American Express Travel.
- Get $200 back in statement credits each year on prepaid Fine Hotels + Resorts® or The Hotel Collection bookings, which requires a minimum two-night stay, through American Express Travel when you pay with your Platinum Card®. And if you fly, you can receive up to $200 in statement credits per calendar year after you select a qualifying airline and incidental fees are charged by the airline to your Platinum Card®.
- $240 Digital Entertainment Credit: Get up to $20 back each month on eligible purchases made with your Platinum Card® on one or more of the following: Audible, Disney+, The Disney Bundle, ESPN+, Hulu, Peacock, SiriusXM, and The New York Times. Enrollment required.
- $155 Walmart+ Credit: Cover the cost of a $12.95 monthly Walmart+ membership with a statement credit after you pay for Walmart+ each month with your Platinum Card. Cost includes $12.95 plus applicable local sales tax. Plus Ups are excluded.
- American Express has expanded The Centurion® Network to include 40+ Centurion Lounge and Studio locations worldwide. There are even more places your Platinum Card® can get you complimentary entry and exclusive perks.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit: Get up to $200 in statement credits per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one select qualifying airline.
- $200 Uber Cash: Enjoy Uber VIP status and up to $200 in Uber savings on rides or eats orders in the US annually. Uber Cash and Uber VIP status is available to Basic Card Member only.
- $300 Equinox Credit: Get up to $25 back each month on the Equinox+ digital fitness app, or eligible Equinox club memberships when you pay with your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $189 CLEAR® Credit: Use your Card and get up to $189 back per year on your CLEAR® membership. CLEAR® is available at select airports and stadiums.
- $695 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees