This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Hyatt Points + Cash award redemptions are a great way to mix points and money on a hotel booking. But another way to look at them is that you’re “buying” Hyatt points when you redeem for a Points + Cash award — you’re substituting a prescribed amount of cash in lieu of booking the award entirely with points using the standard award rate, thereby paying money to spend fewer points. There’s a sweet spot at category 2-6 hotels where you can effectively “buy” Hyatt points this way for 1.2 to 1.4 cents each when choosing the Points + Cash option, which is a good deal since TPG values Hyatt points at 1.8 cents per point.
However, today we’re finding a much cheaper cash co-pay being quoted for certain Hyatt properties. This unadvertised sale effectively lets you buy Hyatt points for as little as 0.68 cents per point when making a Points + Cash redemption.
First, here are the normal Points + Cash booking rates:
|Category||Award Rate per Night||Points + Cash per Night|
|1||5,000||2,500 + $50|
|2||8,000||4,000 + $55|
|3||12,000||6,000 + $75|
|4||15,000||7,500 + $100|
|5||20,000||10,000 + $125|
|6||25,000||12,500 + $150|
|7||30,000||15,000 + $300|
Extreme Hotel Deals — which broke this deal — has compiled the following list of properties currently booking at cheaper rates:
|Hotel Name||Discount Rate||Cost Per Night
|Standard Award Rate||Standard Points + Cash Rate|
|Hyatt Place Cleveland/Westlake/Crocker Park||$17 + 2,500||$62||5,000||$50 + 2,500|
|Hyatt Place Canton||$17 + 2,500||$62||5,000||$50 + 2,500|
|Hyatt Place Jackson/Ridgeland||$17 + 2,500||$62||5,000||$50 + 2,500|
|Hyatt Place Charleston Airport/Convention Center||$28 + 4,000||$100||8,000||$55 + 4,000|
|Hyatt Place Chicago/O’Hare Airport||$30 + 4,000||$102||8,000||$55 + 4,000|
|Hyatt Place Buffalo/Amherst||$31 + 4,000||$103||8,000||$55 + 4,000|
|Hyatt Place Minneapolis/Eden Prairie||$32 + 4,000||$104||8,000||$55 + 4,000|
|Park Hyatt Hyderabad||$34 + 4,000||$106||8,000||$55 + 4,000|
|Grand Hyatt Jakarta||$50 + 6,000||$158||12,000||$75 + 6,000|
|Grand Hyatt Muscat||$60 + 7,500||$195||15,000||$100 + 7,500|
|Park Hyatt Zanzibar||$80 + 10,000||$260||20,000||$125 + 10,000|
|Park Hyatt Chicago||$100 + 12,500||$325||25,000||$150 + 12,500|
Since this is an unadvertised sale, there may be even more hotels that have discounted Points + Cash rates beyond the ones above. However, keep in mind that unlike regular Hyatt point awards — which are supposed to be available any time a base-level room is available — Points + Cash award inventory is at the discretion of the hotel, so you may not always find a Points + Cash room during a search.
But if you have an upcoming potential Hyatt stay that you’re considering booking with points, make sure to check the Points + Cash option and look closely at the cash co-pay amount to see if it might be lower than usual, turning a good deal into a great deal.
H/T: Extreme Hotel Deals
This is a card that TPG recommends to keep open year after year because of the free night you earn each year after your cardmember anniversary. Even though there is a $75 annual fee, the value of a free night at a category 1-4 property can be worth hundreds of dollars. You'll also receive Discoverist status as long as you are a cardholder, which will get you complimentary premium internet plus a free night once you stay at 5 different Hyatt brands.
- Earn 40,000 Bonus Points after you spend $2,000 on purchases with the Hyatt Credit Card in the first 3 months after account opening.
- Get 5,000 Bonus Points after you add an authorized user to your account and make a purchase with your card during the first 3 months as a cardmember.
- Plus, receive 1 free night every year after your cardmember anniversary at any Category 1-4 Hyatt hotel or resort.
- Get Bonus Points on every purchase. Free nights start at just 5,000 points.
- 3 Bonus Points for every $1 spent at Hyatt hotels and resorts.
- 2 Bonus Points per $1 spent at restaurants, on airlines tickets purchased directly from the airlines and at car rental agencies, Plus 1 Bonus Point per $1 spent on purchases elsewhere.
- Keep all the points you earn - your points do not expire as long as your Hyatt Credit Card account is open.
- As a Hyatt Cardmember, you'll enjoy Discoverist status in World of Hyatt for as long as your Hyatt Credit Card account is open.