Haitian Ad Agency Creates Campaign Around ‘Shithole Countries’
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
During a White House meeting on January 11, President Trump stated that immigrants from Norway would be preferable over immigrants from “shithole” countries like Haiti, El Salvador and some African nations, according to several reports.
According to The New York Times, when Trump heard that Haitians were among those who would benefit from the proposed immigration deal, he dismissed the idea and asked: “Why do we want people from Haiti here?”
The president’s remarks provoked swift condemnation from citizens (and allies) from those nations, including Haiti. One creative, from an advertising agency based in Port-au-Prince, is now using the president’s remarks to promote the image of the place he calls home.
Fabien Dodard, a Haitian-born creative director, has started a “shithole”-themed ad campaign for Haiti. Dodard is looking to raise funds to place the ads on billboards in Washington, DC; each ad will feature images of Haiti’s landscape, beaches and locals with headlines like “A majestic shithole awaits” and “Our shithole beaches go on for days.”
Dodard told Ad Week that it was the presence of the Haitian communities on social media that sparked the idea behind this campaign.
“The contrast between the word and the images being posted was quite powerful, and that was the seed of the idea. Now, in terms of making a campaign out of it, that was driven by our willingness to change the narrative around our country,” Dodard said.
This campaign is not a Haitian government initiative or its tourism agency; the campaign initiative is solely based on the efforts of Parkour Studio. For Dodard, this campaign is less about Trump and more about addressing the public about the beauty and culture of Haiti.
“We didn’t want to just make Haiti seem like a great vacation spot. This was bigger than that. We wanted to talk about the culture and people and our pride in both as well. That’s why we have executions that aren’t just about the beaches and waterfalls, but feature our native population in a positive light,” he said.
Contributors can make donation via a GoFundMe campaign.
Photos courtesy of Verdy Verna and Parkour Studio
H/T Ad Week
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees