Great Business Class Award Availability to Barcelona on American
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here.
American Airlines continues to offer great business class award availability on flights to Europe. Last week we saw unreal business availability on AA flights all over Europe, which comes after American pledged to offer better saver award availability in September.
Now, we are seeing plenty of saver availability for flights from the US to Barcelona (BCN) on AA in business. At only 57,500 miles one-way or 115,000 round-trip, it’s a pretty great deal since cash prices range from $3,000 to $7,700 round-trip.
Here are some dates in February and March on American’s nonstop to Barcelona from New York JFK.
And pretty good options for when the weather’s better in Spain during early summer, also on non-stop flights:
Other American hubs like Miami (MIA) and Charlotte (CLT) are showing wide open space too.
Even better, many of those days include two or more seats that are available at the saver level, which is quite rare. Plus they’re not on British Airways aircraft, meaning you won’t be hit with insanely high fuel surcharges. Most of the flights are on American’s 777-200 which features 45 lie-flat seats in a 1-2-1 configuration — all with direct aisle access.
If you’re flying through JFK or Miami, you’ll also have the chance to experience American’s fantastic new flagship lounges. JFK’s features great food, drinks (i.e. all you can drink champagne), seating and even showers.
If you’re lacking in American miles, remember you can transfer points from SPG to your American account. Plus, you can sign-up for the Citi / AAdvantage Platinum Select World Elite Mastercard which is currently offering a 60,000 point bonus after spending $3,000 in the first three months of account opening. The card also gives 10% of your miles back every year, up to 10,000. So if you booked a round-trip saver flight to Barcelona, you’d have to shell out 115,000 up front, but you’d get 10,000, meaning the effective cost of the award was just 105,000 miles!
Head to AA.com and enter your desired departure city and destination to book. Make sure you book quickly as these seats will likely disappear soon. American allows you 5 days to put award ticket tickets on hold, so even if you’re not 100% sure of your plans, you can book now and figure them out over the next couple of days.
H/T: View From The Wing
Based on TPG’s most recent valuations, the 50,000 miles are worth $700. In addition, you can earn 10,000 Elite Qualifying Miles (EQMs) toward elite status after spending $40,000 in a calendar year. As of July 23, 2017 this is the only card that offers Admirals Club lounge access so if you are an AA flyer this card might make sense for you. Aside from lounge access the primary cardholder will receive a Global Entry application fee credit every 5 years, first checked bag free for up to 8 travel companions on domestic itineraries and a 25% discount on eligible in-flight purchases on American Airlines flights.
- Earn 50,000 American Airlines AAdvantage® bonus miles after spending $5,000 in purchases within the first 3 months of account opening
- Admirals Club® membership for you and access for up to two guests or immediate family members traveling with you
- Earn 10,000 AAdvantage® Elite Qualifying Miles (EQMs) after you spend $40,000 in purchases within the year
- No Foreign Transaction Fees on purchases
- Earn 2 AAdvantage® miles for every $1 spent on eligible American Airlines purchases and 1 AAdvantage® mile for every $1 spent on other purchases
- First checked bag is free on domestic American Airlines itineraries for you and up to 8 companions traveling with you on the same reservation
- The standard variable APR for Citi Flex Plan is 17.49% - 26.49%, based on your creditworthiness. Citi Flex Plan offers are made available at Citi's discretion.