‘Game of Thrones’-Themed Ice Hotel Opens in Finland
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
If you’ve ever wondered what it feels like to gaze into the steely blue eyes of a White Walker, you may have a chance to find out. Winter may have already arrived in many parts of the world, but for Game of Thrones fans, it’s still coming — though not fast enough. Last week, HBO confirmed that the final season of the epic series won’t be hitting screens until 2019. To bide their time until then, Westeros know-it-alls can travel the world visiting some of the series’ real-life locations — or they can cross two items off their travel bucket lists at once by paying a visit to Finland to catch a glimpse of the Northern Lights and then spending the night on a bed of ice at Lapland Hotels SnowVillage’s Game of Thrones-inspired ice hotel.
Working together with HBO Nordic, a team of designers and professional ice sculptors spent more than a month creating a snow and ice tribute to the Great Houses of Game of Thrones’ Seven Kingdoms at Laplands’ SnowVillage, the world-renowned ice hotel located nearly 125 miles above the Arctic Circle. The result is a truly spectacular (and sometimes frightening) ode to George R. R. Martin’s pop culture sensation.
Scattered within the hotel’s 65,000 square feet is the hotel itself, which features 14 rooms and 10 suites, plus a restaurant, a bar, a slide, a seemingly never-ending series of corridors full of ice sculptures and a chapel. (Yes, you can get married here).
Among the sights that will be familiar to Game of Thrones fans: the Hall of Faces, a throne, a direwolf, shards of dragon glass and the aforementioned White Walker (which will watch over some lucky guests as they sleep).
While spending the night is the ideal way to see everything the ice hotel has to offer, gawkers are also welcome (you can explore the public spaces for yourself or take a guided tour). See more of the hotel below, or book your room here now.
Featured image courtesy of Lapland Hotels SnowVillage
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.