Happy 82nd Birthday to the World’s Oldest Flight Attendant: Bette Nash
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
If you fly in first class between Washington DC’s Ronald Reagan National Airport (DCA) and Boston (BOS), you might be lucky enough to be served by a living legend. Bette Nash is the oldest and most experienced flight attendant in the world. And, today, December 31, 2017 is her 82nd birthday!
For over 60 years, Bette Nash has charmed passengers. Her fascination with becoming a “stewardess” started when she was 16 and saw a TWA crew pass her family in the terminal of Washington National Airport. (It would be nearly a half-century later before that airport would be renamed after President Ronald Reagan.)
After graduating from college, she followed her passion and applied for a stewardess position with Eastern Airlines on November 4, 1957, when she was just 22 years old. Her home base was right there in the airport she found her calling. Over 60 years — and many airline mergers — later, she still calls DCA home.
To get an idea how long ago Bette started flying, here are some fascinating stats from Bette’s first year on the job:
- Dwight Eisenhower was president
- Flights on her favorite route from DCA-BOS cost $12 each and required no reservation
- Gas was 24 cents a gallon
- Bette remembers serving lobster and carved meats on platters
Now, as the most-experienced flight attendant, she can choose any flight she wants. But, she mostly sticks to her favorite DCA-BOS route with a crew affectionately known as the “Nash-Dash.”
For those wondering, yes, Bette is still fully qualified as a flight attendant. In order to keep flying, she still has to pass all of the same training requirements of those 60 years her younger.
If you — like us — can’t get enough of Bette, check out this feature that CNN did on her career so far:
And here’s the Boston Globe’s feature on Bette:
As you can see, Bette is an absolute gem. Thankfully, she has no intention of stopping anytime soon — which is great news for those of us that still haven’t been able to experience her charm for ourselves.
Featured image by The Washington Post via Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees