JetBlue Makes Two Policy Changes, Adds More Fees
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
JetBlue has traditionally been known as one of the airlines that offers travelers a customer-friendly approach — especially when it comes to its fees and policies. On Wednesday, we learned of two changes the New York-based carrier has made to its rules, and they’re not for the better.
First, JetBlue has long offered customers a generous fare difference policy window but as of this week, the carrier has quietly reduced that policy to a five-day period. In the past, if you purchased a ticket and the price dropped within 14 days, JetBlue would issue you a credit for the difference.
Effective December 4, 2017, the carrier is implementing the following fees after the five-day period, with the amount varying based on your fare option. Here’s the breakdown:
- Blue: $75
- Blue Plus: $75
- Blue Flex: $0
The change gives passengers much less time to monitor fares, as well as less time for the actual fare to drop. If you’ve found a lower fare more than five days after purchasing, determining whether or not it’ll be worth it to change will depend on the fare difference and if it justifies the $75 fee (if you purchased a Blue or Blue Plus fare).
The second change JetBlue recently made comes by the way of its free same-day standby policy. Effective immediately, JetBlue is going to charge you $75 for same-day flight changes. In the past, the carrier has had a policy in place stating that if you arrived at the airport on the day of your ticketed departure, you could change to the next flight out or the flight right after your originally scheduled departure — a benefit which has long been free.
Like the policy has always stated, you can’t change origin or destination airports and the new flight must be for the same day of travel. Keep in mind that you can make the same-day change either at home or from the airport — for the $75 fee. For Mosaic members, the same-day standby benefit will remain the same with no fee.
Both of these changes are unfortunate for the customer. That being said, JetBlue still offers some of the more passenger-friendly travel policies, such as free in-flight snacks and beverages, free Wi-Fi and more.
We reached out to JetBlue for comment but have yet to hear back.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.