OpenSkies to Cease Operations in 2018
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
After a 10-year run, British Airways has confirmed that its boutique airline OpenSkies will cease to exist in 2018. The airline, which only flies between New York (EWR and JFK) and Paris Orly (ORY), will fly for the last time at the end of summer 2018.
OpenSkies, the BA subsidiary, is owned by parent company International Airlines Group (IAG), which also owns Iberia, Aer Lingus, Vueling and new low-cost carrier LEVEL. A spokesperson for OpenSkies said that the carrier’s staff “will then be dedicated to LEVEL’s Paris operations” after it folds. According to Travel Market Report, LEVEL will use the former OpenSkies crew to build out a second hub. It’s current and only hub is in Barcelona (BCN).
LEVEL announced it was going to begin 4x weekly service between New York (EWR) and Paris (ORY) beginning September 4. While OpenSkies has confirmed that it will cease operations, flights are still bookable through British Airways’ website as of this writing.
OpenSkies was founded in 2008 with hopes of offering service from several European destinations to the US. The carrier operates a total of four aircraft — one 767-300 and three 757-200s. According to an OpenSkies spokesperson, the carrier’s aircraft will be returned to their owners/lessors at the end of their lease term.
TPG flew with OpenSkies in a lie-flat Biz Bed set and found the experience to be comfortable, though it’s certainly not one of the world’s best business-class products. The carrier also offers Premium Plus (premium economy) and Eco (economy) products. Though OpenSkies offers three cabin products, it often competes directly with another boutique airline, La Compagnie, which offers all-business-class flights on the New York-Paris route.
Featured image by Kambui / Wikimedia Commons.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees