Only a Few Hours Before Hyatt Changes Categories on These Nine Hotels
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Hyatt is changing the award categories for nine of its hotels with very little notice. At 12:01am Central Time on December 13, 2017, one hotel’s category is dropping while the other eight are increasing.
Here are the hotels affected with the current and new categories:
|Hyatt Place Orlando Airport||1||2|
|Hyatt Place Orlando/Lake Mary||1||2|
|Hyatt Place St. Paul||1||2|
|Hyatt Place Shenzhen||1||2|
|Hyatt Place Augusta||2||3|
|Hyatt Place Santa Cruz||2||4|
|Highlands Inn, a Hyatt Hotel||6||7|
|Hyatt Place Long Island/NYC||2||3|
|The Confidante Hotel, Miami||6||4|
Note that these changes go into effect for stays in 2018. The rates for the remainder of 2017 are supposed to stay the same.
The most tempting option for booking now may be the Hyatt Place Long Island City. Despite being just outside NYC, somehow this hotel has maintained a category 2 status. Before midnight, award nights will cost 8,000 points. At current TPG valuations, that’s $144 in value per night for a hotel a short ride from Manhattan.
For this hotel, I’m finding nights for off-peak dates in January at $126 per night (AAA rate, including taxes), so this isn’t as good of a deal for all dates. But, you’ll get good value out of your Hyatt points — or transferred Chase Ultimate Rewards points — for spring and summer travel to NYC. If you need to top off your World of Hyatt account, transfers from Chase to World of Hyatt are instantaneous.
If you’ve already booked a reservation for The Confidante Hotel for 2018, Hyatt is saying that “Customer Service will proactively deposit the point difference into a member’s account.”
While not the worst round of category changes we’ve seen from a hotel, it’s really disappointing that Hyatt is giving such short notice for these changes. If you’re interesting in booking any of these hotels for stays in 2018, make sure to book now.
H/T: View From The Wing
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees