This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
For points and miles enthusiasts, having points expire is one of the worst things that can happen. Hilton has long been known to have one of the more customer-unfriendly expiration policies in the hotel industry by not allowing members a way through which they could retrieve any expired points. However, the program has just introduced wording in its terms and conditions that now allows Honors members to reinstate some of their expired points.
Here’s the new reinstatement policy, in Hilton Honors’ words:
“Hilton Honors members can reinstate up to 1,000,000 expired Hilton Honors points. Only points balances that have expired in the previous 18 months are eligible for reinstatement. Only one reinstatement transaction is permitted per Hilton Honors account. Email address is required and will only be used for transaction and marketing communications related to this purchase. Points reinstated do not count towards elite tier qualification. Points.com and Hilton Honors reserves the right to terminate this reinstatement program at any time.”
The program’s expiration policy will remain the same. Your points will expire if there is no account activity within 12 months. Honors counts activity as staying at one of its properties or earning or redeeming Hilton Honors points. This new ability to reinstate up to 1,000,000 points is a great addition from the Honors program, though you will have to pay to do so.
The Hilton Honors program underwent a major program overhaul earlier this year. With the change, the program introduced new Points & Money redemption options, the ability to pool points and to shop at Amazon with points.
Featured image by Hilton.
H/T: View From the Wing
LIMITED TIME OFFER. Aside from the 100,000 points welcome bonus (available until 8/8/18), Amex recently made huge improvements to the Business Platinum Card, including the fact that you will now earn 50% more points on purchases of $5,000 or more, earn 5x on flights and eligible hotels at Amextravel.com and cardholders will receive a $200 airline fee credit each year.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn up to 100,000 Membership Rewards® Points.
- Earn 50,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $10,000 & an extra 50,000 points after you spend an additional $15,000 all on qualifying purchases within your first 3 months of Card Membership. Offer ends 8/8/18.†
- Get 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights and prepaid hotels on amextravel.com.
- Get 50% more Membership Rewards® points. That's 1.5 points per dollar, on each eligible purchase of $5,000 or more. You can get up to 1 million additional points per year.
- 35% Airline Bonus: Use Membership Rewards® Pay with Points for all or part of a flight with your selected qualifying airline, and you can get 35% of the points back, up to 500,000 bonus points per calendar year.
- You can also receive 35% points back on all First and Business class flights, with all airlines available through American Express Travel.
- You can enjoy access to The American Express Global Lounge Collection℠ offering access to the most lounges across the globe, when compared with other U.S. credit card offerings. As of 11/2017
- Terms Apply
- See Rates & Fees