Hilton Adds the Ability to Pay to Get Your Expired Points Reinstated
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
For points and miles enthusiasts, having points expire is one of the worst things that can happen. Hilton has long been known to have one of the more customer-unfriendly expiration policies in the hotel industry by not allowing members a way through which they could retrieve any expired points. However, the program has just introduced wording in its terms and conditions that now allows Honors members to reinstate some of their expired points.
Here’s the new reinstatement policy, in Hilton Honors’ words:
“Hilton Honors members can reinstate up to 1,000,000 expired Hilton Honors points. Only points balances that have expired in the previous 18 months are eligible for reinstatement. Only one reinstatement transaction is permitted per Hilton Honors account. Email address is required and will only be used for transaction and marketing communications related to this purchase. Points reinstated do not count towards elite tier qualification. Points.com and Hilton Honors reserves the right to terminate this reinstatement program at any time.”
The program’s expiration policy will remain the same. Your points will expire if there is no account activity within 12 months. Honors counts activity as staying at one of its properties or earning or redeeming Hilton Honors points. This new ability to reinstate up to 1,000,000 points is a great addition from the Honors program, though you will have to pay to do so.
The Hilton Honors program underwent a major program overhaul earlier this year. With the change, the program introduced new Points & Money redemption options, the ability to pool points and to shop at Amazon with points.
Featured image by Hilton.
H/T: View From the Wing
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases.
- 2X points on dining at restaurants including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 2x total points on up to $1,000 in grocery store purchases per month from November 1, 2020 to April 30, 2021. Includes eligible pick-up and delivery services.