This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
When you gotta go and the toilets are broken, well, you do what you gotta to do. For passengers on a Delta flight from New York (JFK) to Seattle (SEA) on Saturday, December 2, that meant making an emergency landing at Billings Logan International Airport in Montana after the bathrooms on board the Boeing 757 stopped working.
DL 453 was near the Canadian border — see the flight path above — when the bathrooms ceased functioning and according to an incident report, passengers started “queueing up and indicating they needed to visit the toilet.” The crew decided to divert to Billings (BIL) after passengers notified the crew that some of them “needed to go really bad.” The plane landed in Billings 30 minutes later; however, there was no gate immediately available, so the ground crew had to roll a stairway to the plane so that passengers could “disembark to find relief,” according to the incident report.
Passengers were escorted to the terminal so those who needed to take care of their business could do so as the plane’s toilets were fixed. The plane spent three hours on the ground in BIL and was refueled before passengers re-boarded and continued to SEA. The aircraft landed safely in Seattle over two hours after its scheduled arrival time.
Nonstop flights from JFK to SEA usually last about six hours. This is not the first plane to make an emergency landing at BIL, but it was the first one where the call of nature precipitated the event, though.
H/T: Billings Gazette
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees