Delta Flight Makes Emergency Bathroom Break
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
When you gotta go and the toilets are broken, well, you do what you gotta to do. For passengers on a Delta flight from New York (JFK) to Seattle (SEA) on Saturday, December 2, that meant making an emergency landing at Billings Logan International Airport in Montana after the bathrooms on board the Boeing 757 stopped working.
DL 453 was near the Canadian border — see the flight path above — when the bathrooms ceased functioning and according to an incident report, passengers started “queueing up and indicating they needed to visit the toilet.” The crew decided to divert to Billings (BIL) after passengers notified the crew that some of them “needed to go really bad.” The plane landed in Billings 30 minutes later; however, there was no gate immediately available, so the ground crew had to roll a stairway to the plane so that passengers could “disembark to find relief,” according to the incident report.
Passengers were escorted to the terminal so those who needed to take care of their business could do so as the plane’s toilets were fixed. The plane spent three hours on the ground in BIL and was refueled before passengers re-boarded and continued to SEA. The aircraft landed safely in Seattle over two hours after its scheduled arrival time.
Nonstop flights from JFK to SEA usually last about six hours. This is not the first plane to make an emergency landing at BIL, but it was the first one where the call of nature precipitated the event, though.
H/T: Billings Gazette
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.