Delta Flight Makes Emergency Bathroom Break
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
When you gotta go and the toilets are broken, well, you do what you gotta to do. For passengers on a Delta flight from New York (JFK) to Seattle (SEA) on Saturday, December 2, that meant making an emergency landing at Billings Logan International Airport in Montana after the bathrooms on board the Boeing 757 stopped working.
DL 453 was near the Canadian border — see the flight path above — when the bathrooms ceased functioning and according to an incident report, passengers started “queueing up and indicating they needed to visit the toilet.” The crew decided to divert to Billings (BIL) after passengers notified the crew that some of them “needed to go really bad.” The plane landed in Billings 30 minutes later; however, there was no gate immediately available, so the ground crew had to roll a stairway to the plane so that passengers could “disembark to find relief,” according to the incident report.
Passengers were escorted to the terminal so those who needed to take care of their business could do so as the plane’s toilets were fixed. The plane spent three hours on the ground in BIL and was refueled before passengers re-boarded and continued to SEA. The aircraft landed safely in Seattle over two hours after its scheduled arrival time.
Nonstop flights from JFK to SEA usually last about six hours. This is not the first plane to make an emergency landing at BIL, but it was the first one where the call of nature precipitated the event, though.
H/T: Billings Gazette
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees