6 Places Americans Can Easily Move to in 2018

Dec 12, 2017

This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.

Despite the US passport dropping a few spots in the global power rankings, it remains one of the most powerful out there. US passport holders are granted expedited access to 154 countries, though most tourist visas are capped at one to three months. Staying longer, whether to work or expatriate, can quickly get frustrating and convoluted with processes that vary drastically from country to country. Here are six of the easier options out there where English is native or widely spoken and expat communities already thrive.

Canada is worth the effort — if you can get them to take you. Image of Toronto, CA courtesy of Shutterstock.
Canada is worth the effort — if you can get them to take you. Image of Toronto by Shutterstock.

1. Canada

For how cold it gets up there, the United States’ friendly neighbors always seem warm and welcoming to Americans, but even Canadian hospitality wears out after six months. So to stay longer, you’ll need a visa. One option is getting hitched to a local, but if that would complicate your current marriage, a work visa is a better route. The Federal Skilled Trades Program allow foreigners with specific skills to work in Canada — note that demand varies by province. Better yet, for companies enrolled in the new Global Talent Stream program, visas move as quick as a Tim Hortons morning drive-thru. The program, which went live in September, takes just two weeks — down from six months — to issue work visas to foreign talent.

NAFTA still offers a visa for certain highly skilled professionals, but the trade agreement’s uncertain future may jeopardize that visa.

2. Mexico

If poutine ain’t your thing or warmer weather is more your style, head south to Mexico, where Americans can lounge on a beach for up to six months sin visa. If you want a more permanent tan, apply for a four-year temporary resident visa. Requirements vary by consulate, but generally you need to prove you have a $1,500-per-month income or $25,000 in your savings account.

Our southern neighbors may provide an easier, warmer option. Image courtesy of <a href="http://www.shutterstock.com/pic-79510015.html">Shutterstock</a>.
Image of the beach in Tulum, Mexico, by Shutterstock.

3. Australia and New Zealand

For an escape as far away as possible, the antipodes may be able to accommodate you. If you’re between 18 and 30 years old, one-year working-holiday visas are available in Australia and New Zealand. There is talk that Australia may increase the maximum age to 35 — they’ve even passed legislation to allow the increase. But for now the number still sits at 30.

For non-millennials, a necessary skill could once again be your ticket. Motorcycle mechanic? Head down to Australia. Pig farmer? New Zealand could use your expertise.

If you get a working holiday visa, don't forget the holiday part. Image courtesy of <a href="http://www.shutterstock.com/pic-349221143.html">Shutterstock</a>.
If you manage to get a working holiday visa, don’t forget about the holiday part. Image of Mt. Cook in New Zealand by Shutterstock.

4. The UK and Ireland

In the aftermath of its historic Brexit vote the UK plans to double the work visas offered to non-EU tech professionals and simplify the application process. And with the post-Brexit exchange rate, the UK remains a compelling option financially for people who hold US dollars. With a job offer in hand, Americans can apply for a work visa. Otherwise, you can stay in the UK — England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland — for up to six months visa-free.

Across the Irish Sea, Ireland is firmly a member of the European Union but offers additional residency options. Having just one parent, grandparent or possibly even great-grandparent born in Ireland may be enough for you to claim Irish citizenship. For those over the age of 18 but under the age of 30 who are still full-time students — in college, graduate school or just a year out of either program — a 12-month working-holiday visa is another viable option. Everyone else is allowed to stay visa-free for up to 90 days.

Political Debate Fuel. Image courtesy of <a href="http://www.shutterstock.com/pic-460246894.html">Shutterstock</a>.
It really does taste better over there. Image courtesy of Shutterstock.

5. Scandinavia

While the Scandinavian countries regularly rank near the top in quality of life and gender equality, they’re also known for having generous immigration policies. Obtaining a work visa will let you overstay the Schengen Agreement’s limit of 90 days during a 180-day span, but a more intriguing option lies north of the Arctic circle. The Svalbard archipelago in Norway is exempt from the usual Schengen limitations, which means you can live and work there visa-free indefinitely. Don’t forget to pack heat though, as carrying a firearm is required to protect you from polar bears when venturing outside settlements.

Trump will protect you from the polar bears. Image courtesy of <a href="http://www.shutterstock.com/pic-310997198.html">Shutterstock</a>.
The only thing to fear up here? Polar bears. Image of a sign in Svalbard, Norway, by Shutterstock.

6. The Rest of the European Union

Some countries offer citizenship if your parents or grandparents were born there, so check with the motherland just in case. Or, if you can prove you support yourself through freelance projects, art, writing or other creative work, Germany’s artist visa is worth considering.

The European Parliament did vote in March to suspend visa-free travel for US citizens in the EU, but that was nixed by the European Commission, the Union’s closest thing to an executive branch. Still, relations at the moment aren’t at their warmest between the US and EU, which could eventually affect visas.

To the Point

We use the term “easy” relatively here — expatriating always requires a fair bit of work. If you’d like to know how difficult the process can get, ask someone who immigrated to the US. However, with patience and some money for visa and possibly attorney fees, dreams of a new home in a foreign land can become a reality.

Featured image by PAKIKO KAWANA / Getty Images


Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card

WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points


CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners

*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.

Apply Now
More Things to Know
  • Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
  • Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
  • Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
  • With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
  • Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
Regular APR
16.24% - 23.24% Variable
Annual Fee
Balance Transfer Fee
Either $5 or 5% of the amount of each transfer, whichever is greater.
Recommended Credit

Editorial Disclaimer: Opinions expressed here are the author’s alone, not those of any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.

Disclaimer: The responses below are not provided or commissioned by the bank advertiser. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser’s responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.