Watch Lightning Strike a KLM 777 Just After Takeoff
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Aircraft lightning strikes are a fascinating and terrifying sight. That said, they’re common enough that aircraft are designed to suffer minimal to no damage from the surge of electricity passing over the skin of the aircraft. However, catching strikes on video is much rarer.
But one aviation videographer got incredibly lucky to get one on film last week in Amsterdam. According to the YouTube video description, the electrified aircraft was KLM flight 743 taking off from Amsterdam (AMS), beginning a 6,532-mile journey to Lima, Peru (LIM). The aircraft (PH-BVS) is a Boeing 777-300ER which was just delivered new to KLM in February 2017.
Thankfully, the lightning strike didn’t seem to cause any damage. Not only did the aircraft continue onto Lima, but it’s flown over 66,103 miles in the seven days since the incident.
Here’s the full video. If you just want to see the strike, skip ahead to the 3:05 time mark:
Those of us who are really “AvGeeky” might enjoy other aspects of this video. For example, from 1:33 all the way through 2:09, you can see fascinating engine condensation masking the front of the engines as the aircraft performs its takeoff roll.
Once the aircraft lifts off, we see a striking example of condensation clouds on the aircraft’s wings:
Around 0:47 and 1:09 in, you see non-metallic birds flying around the runway. Thankfully none of these impacted the aircraft in the video, but this is a big problem with about 1 in every 2,000 flights having a birdstrike. Some of these can be quite drastic.
Can’t get enough clips of aircraft lightning strikes? Check out this video of a WOW Air A330 being struck and a Sun Country aircraft taking a lighting strike during pushback.
Featured image by Gianluca Prioli/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees