One Day Only: Get Up to a 100% Bonus on Purchased United Miles
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here.
For one day only, United is offering up to a 100% bonus when you purchase MileagePlus miles. As part of its extended Cyber Monday sale, you can earn up to 100% bonus miles on your purchased miles on Tuesday.
Here’s how the bonus earning breaks down based on how many you purchase:
- Buy 5,000-9,000 miles — get 40% bonus miles
- Buy 10,000-19,000 miles — get 60% bonus miles
- Buy 20,000-75,000 miles — get 100% bonus miles
If you were to maximize this promotion and purchase 75,000 miles, you’d pay about $2,822, including taxes and fees for a total of 150,000 miles. That comes out to paying about 1.88 cents apiece. Based on TPG’s most recent valuations, United miles are worth 1.5 cents apiece. So, while this isn’t the best promotion out there, it’s not necessarily a bad one either.
Keep in mind that before you purchase any miles, you’re going to want to have a specific use for the miles in mind. Buying miles speculatively isn’t recommended, as miles are a bad long-term investment.
If you’re planning to utilize this promotion, here’s how to do so:
- Visit United’s Buy Miles page.
- Click on the Cyber Monday bonus deal.
- Enter your United MileagePlus account number and last name.
- Select the number of miles you want to buy and fill in the required information to finalize your purchase.
Keep in mind that there are some restrictions. You must purchase miles by November 28, 2017, at 11:59pm CT in order to get the bonus. You must purchase miles in increments of 1,000 with a maximum of 75,000 miles. The bonus miles will count toward the 150,000 mile annual limit per MileagePlus account, and purchased miles don’t count toward Premier status.
Note that the purchase is processed by Points.com, so you won’t get any travel category bonuses from this purchase. Make sure to use the best non-bonus category credit card for your situation. Based on TPG’s valuations, the Blue Business Plus Credit Card from American Express’s 2x Membership Rewards or Chase Freedom Unlimited’s 1.5x Ultimate Rewards points would be the most rewarding choice.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees