This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Last year, Uber, the popular on-demand car service, was apparently hacked. Didn’t know about it? Well, that’s because they didn’t want you to.
Time.com reports the company finally came clean about the cyber attack — and the subsequent cover-up — on Tuesday. Personal information, including email addresses and phone numbers, were stolen from roughly 57 million Uber users. Credit cards and social security numbers were apparently not compromised.
Uber customers, however, were not the only ones affected. Time.com also reports that the driver’s license numbers of 600,000 Uber drivers were stolen as well.
According to The Guardian, Uber confirmed it had “paid the hackers responsible $100,000 to delete the data and keep the breach quiet.”
“None of this should have happened, and I will not make excuses for it,” says Uber CEO Dara Khosrowshahi on the company’s website. “While I can’t erase the past, I can commit on behalf of every Uber employee that we will learn from our mistakes. We are changing the way we do business, putting integrity at the core of every decision we make and working hard to earn the trust of our customers.”
Khosrowshahi has since let two employees go that were said to be responsible for keeping the breach under wraps. Back in June, the company’s former CEO Travis Kalanick was removed from his post after he “encouraged employees to push legal limits,” including sexual harassment.
Have you been affected by the Uber hack? Let us know in the comments below.
With some great bonus categories, the American Express Gold Card has a lot going for it. The card offers 4x points at US restaurants, at US supermarkets (up to $25,000; then 1x), and 3x points on flights booked directly with airlines or through amextravel.com. It is currently offering a welcome bonus of 35,000 bonus points after you spend $2,000 in the first three months.
- Earn 35,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $2,000 on eligible purchases with your new Card within the first 3 months.
- Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. restaurants. Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. supermarkets (on up to $25,000 per year in purchases, then 1X).
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or on amextravel.com.
- Earn up to $10 in statement credits monthly when you pay with The Gold Card at Grubhub, Seamless, The Cheesecake Factory, Shake Shack, and Ruth's Chris Steak House. This is an annual savings of up to $120. Enrollment required.
- $100 Airline Fee Credit: up to $100 in statement credits per calendar year for incidental fees at one selected qualifying airline.
- Choose to carry a balance with interest on eligible charges of $100 or more.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- Annual Fee is $250.
- Terms apply.
- See Rates & Fees