This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Last year, Uber, the popular on-demand car service, was apparently hacked. Didn’t know about it? Well, that’s because they didn’t want you to.
Time.com reports the company finally came clean about the cyber attack — and the subsequent cover-up — on Tuesday. Personal information, including email addresses and phone numbers, were stolen from roughly 57 million Uber users. Credit cards and social security numbers were apparently not compromised.
Uber customers, however, were not the only ones affected. Time.com also reports that the driver’s license numbers of 600,000 Uber drivers were stolen as well.
According to The Guardian, Uber confirmed it had “paid the hackers responsible $100,000 to delete the data and keep the breach quiet.”
“None of this should have happened, and I will not make excuses for it,” says Uber CEO Dara Khosrowshahi on the company’s website. “While I can’t erase the past, I can commit on behalf of every Uber employee that we will learn from our mistakes. We are changing the way we do business, putting integrity at the core of every decision we make and working hard to earn the trust of our customers.”
Khosrowshahi has since let two employees go that were said to be responsible for keeping the breach under wraps. Back in June, the company’s former CEO Travis Kalanick was removed from his post after he “encouraged employees to push legal limits,” including sexual harassment.
Have you been affected by the Uber hack? Let us know in the comments below.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees