The Worst Days To Travel This Holiday Season
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The holidays are one of the busiest times for travel and this year is supposed to be the craziest yet. USA Today reports a “3% boost in passengers” for Thanksgiving alone, projecting “28.5 million” travelers will have a turkey to get to.
Luckily, there ways to protect yourself from the madness. According to the Cheat Sheet, Google Flights has calculated which dates will be the worst to travel this season thanks to data taken from the past two years, which means with a little planning you won’t have to spend Thanksgiving stranded in an airport, eating a sorry turkey sandwich.
The most important date to avoid is November 17th. Travelers should expect “long lines at the airport, flight delays or cancellations,” warns the Cheat Sheet. If you have any flexibility with your schedule, try and plan your trip earlier or later.
That said, the day before and after Thanksgiving are also on the “do not fly” list. So is November 26th, when USA Today estimates some “2.88 million passengers” will be taking to the friendly skies, resulting in delays getting home.
As for Christmas, the worst travel days are December 22nd – 24th. These dates are precariously close to Christmas Day, and bring an onslaught of travelers all at once. Expect December 29th to be busy as well as tourists gear up for New Year’s Eve festivities. And speaking of the New Year, it’s best not to head home from your celebratory location until after January 2nd — which if that means another day on the beach, isn’t such a bad thing after all.
H/T: Cheat Sheet
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.