Double Check Your Sapphire Reserve’s $300 Travel Credit Now
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here.
If you applied for your Chase Sapphire Reserve before May 21, 2017, then you will want to make sure that you have used up your annual travel credit for 2017 ASAP. That annual $300 credit towards travel charged to the card gets used automatically as you use your Sapphire Reserve to pay for everything from airline tickets, to hotels, to cab rides, to train tickets, and so much more.
You can check the status of your 2017 travel credit by logging into your Chase Sapphire Reserve account online and clicking on your Ultimate Rewards balance. This will take you to your Ultimate Rewards dashboard where your progress towards spending the 2017 Sapphire Reserve travel credit is displayed if you scroll down.
Mine has all been used since shortly after it was available, but if you notice you still have some credit left to spend before your 12/17 statement closes, then it is time to get busy spending money on travel!
If you applied for your card after May 21, 2017, then your annual travel credit is tied to your cardmember year as opposed to a calendar year, so you don’t have to use up your credit by the time your December 2017 statement closes. However, if you got the card before 5/21/17, then if your next statement runs through December 5, 2017, then you have until December 5th to post travel charges against your 2017 Sapphire Reserve travel credit or it will go to waste.
I would not cut it super close to your statement close date in case there is a delay in the charge posting. If you have an early December 2017 statement close date than you need to use up that travel credit ASAP.
Obviously, if you have a flight to book or a prepaid hotel to secure right now then that is an easy way to use up your annual travel credit quickly, but if you purchase a gift card directly from a travel company then that would work, too. You do need to be sure that the charge is coming directly from a travel company and not a third party company that won’t code as travel, but there are plenty of options out there that should work including purchasing e-gift cards directly from Delta, Southwest, Marriott, and American Airlines. You can sift through this thread for some additional first-hand reports of what has and hasn’t posted as travel.
If none of this is making sense, then you can always just call the number on the back of your Sapphire Reserve to ask Chase directly about the status of your 2017 annual travel credit.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
SIGN-UP BONUS: 50,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,000
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on all travel and dining, $300 annual travel credit, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- $300 Annual Travel Credit as reimbursement for travel purchases charged to your card each account anniversary year
- 3X points on travel immediately after earning your $300 travel credit. 3X points on dining at restaurants & 1 point per $1 spent on all other purchases. $0 foreign transaction fees.
- Get 50% more value when you redeem your points for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Access to 1,000+ airport lounges worldwide after an easy, one-time enrollment in Priority Pass™ Select
- Up to $100 application fee credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®
- One Year Complimentary Lyft Pink ($199 minimum value). Complimentary DashPass subscription from DoorDash after activating by 12/31/21.