Earn Up to 50,000 Bonus Miles Via American Airlines’ New Tiered Promotion
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here.
American Airlines’ AAdvantage program just launched a new Holiday Bonus Miles promotion offering up to 50,000 bonus miles — in addition to the miles you’d otherwise earn — for earning miles through certain AAdvantage partners.
Here’s how it works: AAdvantage is giving members a “holiday to-do list.” You get a bonus for checking items off the list now through December 31. The bonuses get larger as you complete more partner tasks:
|Number of partners||Bonus miles awarded||Total miles|
But, before you can start earning, you need to register first. If this link doesn’t auto-fill the promotion code, enter code AAHOL. (Yes, AAHOL.)
Even if you don’t think you’re going to play along, it can’t hurt to register and get a bonus or two from AAdvantage earning partners you’d use otherwise.
So, what are the tasks?
- Start earning early — sign up for Miles for Opinions (earn at least 300 miles)
- Protect your identity before busy season with LifeLock (10,000 miles for signing up)
- Get the kids to call Grandma with Sprint (earn at least 417 miles)
- Book the in-laws a hotel (close to home) with Rocketmiles (earn at least 5,000 miles)
- Stay in your pajamas – shop online with AAdvantage eShopping (earn at least 3,000 miles)
- Fill the mantle with fresh poinsettas from 1-800-FLOWERS (earn at least 2,000 miles)
- Ditch the leftovers – go out with AAdvantage Dining (earn at least 500 miles)
- Skip the stir-crazy stage of family visits – rent a car with Avis or Budget (earn at least 1,500 miles)
- Schedule a wine delivery for your ugly sweater party from Vinesse (earn at least 500 miles)
- Ring in the New Year in style – book at Hilton (earn at least 1,000 miles)
If you complete all tasks, you’ll be earning at least 24,217 miles from the promotion plus the 50,000 bonus miles.
Some of these tasks are easier and cheaper than others. The shopping portal option is an easy way of earning bonus miles in addition to miles you already earn from shopping portals. And, it shouldn’t be too hard to check off the Miles for Opinions and AAdvantage Dining options.
The mail-order wine and 1-800-FLOWERS options aren’t terribly cheap ways to check off additional tasks, but could make sense if you can utilize the purchases. The Hilton, Avis/Budget and Rocketmiles tasks are going to take some traveling, but the required minimums aren’t very high so it might be worth going after these.
The last two tasks are going to take a little more of a commitment. If you have non-discounted Sprint service already, make sure to link your Sprint account to your AAdvantage account through the promotional website. You’ll earn 417 miles per month, which is enough to trigger the bonus. If you have a discounted Sprint service or another cell phone provider, it’s a hard sell to switch carriers just for this bonus.
LifeLock is even more confounding. The terms and conditions note that “new members must earn 7,000 miles during the promotion period to qualify for the bonus.” However, LifeLock requires you to be “an active LifeLock member for 91 days to earn AAdvantage miles.” So, there’s no way of doing that before December 31.
Update: American Airlines has reached out to clarify that “the date that’s taken into account is not when the miles post to your account, but the date of the activity with each partner. In LifeLock’s case, it’s the date you sign up.” That means that all you need to do is sign-up for LifeLock before December 31 to check this item off of the list.
Existing LifeLock members who signed up through AAdvantage in the past are in luck, though. If your “anniversary miles” post during the promotion period, you’ll complete the task. If your anniversary miles don’t post before December 31, you can “contact AAdvantage Customer Service and request to be manually qualified for the promotion by providing proof of current Lifelock membership.”
The problem with these two being so difficult is that the last two tasks are the most valuable. Of the 50,000 potential bonus miles, 22,000 of these bonus miles come from completing the final two tasks.
Know what’s an easier way of earning 60,000 bonus AAdvantage miles? Signing up for the Citi/AAdvantage Platinum Select World Elite Mastercard. You’ll earn that bonus after signing up and spending $3,000 in the first three months. Plus, it’s a great card for defeating basic economy. The information for the Citi AAdvantage Platinum card has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
It makes sense to register for this promotion and maybe change your purchases around a bit to complete a few tasks. Just go into this promotion with a realistic expectation for how many bonus miles you’ll earn.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees