American Airlines Catering Out of Los Angeles Disrupted by Listeria Traces
Listeria traces have forced Americans Airlines to stop using the Gate Gourmet catering facility at Los Angeles International Airport (LAX). Several health agencies reportedly tested the facility and found traces of listeria, however American said that it hasn’t found any traces on its food and no illnesses have been reported. As a precaution, the airline has halted Gate Gourmet catering operations out of LAX beginning November 1.
An American spokeswoman said that starting overnight from Tuesday to Wednesday, the carrier began notifying passengers whose catering was affected by the temporary cease of Gate Gourmet operations. In the interim, AA is working on solutions to the problem, such as offering snacks at certain gates at LAX, finding other catering options and, in some cases, providing vouchers to passengers to use on future flights.
“As a health and safety measure, the company has taken the appropriate steps of removing all food catering for all LAX departures starting immediately and lasting approximately a week,” said Bob Ross, president of the Association of Professional Flight Attendants, in a letter to AA flight attendants. “The information we have received so far is that American is working to provide you enough supplies as possible for your flight. They do not expect you perform miracles.”
Ross also noted that flight attendants, and, by association, passengers, should know that there is no immediate threat to their health or safety. At this time, all food that is normally provided by Gate Gourmet at LAX will be removed. Anything that is available has been vetted as safe.
According to The Street, Gate Gourmet is the catering company also used by Delta Air Lines as well as a few other international airlines out of LAX. At this time, it’s not known if Delta or any other airlines will cease catering operations with Gate Gourmet while the issue is resolved. According to Gate Gourmet, traces of listeria were found in non-food contact areas.
“As part of routine inspections, we identified traces of listeria in non-food contact areas, primarily floor drains, at our LAX unit,” Gate Gourmet said in a statement. “Immediately and in accordance with our protocols, all floor drains and surrounding areas were immediately and aggressively treated. Independent food safety agencies have confirmed that our unit adheres to food safety regulations and we are not aware of any instance where passengers are put at risk. We reaffirm our commitment to food safety and the safety of the travelling public. Our unit is open for business and we continue to cater our other customers.”
Listeria is caused by eating food contaminated with the bacteria Listeria monocytogenes. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention calls it a serious infection, with an estimated 1,600 people diagnosed with it each year. Of those, approximately 260 people die.
American offers more than 200 daily departures out of LAX — more than any other airline. This catering outage is surely to be a disruption, especially for premium passengers on long-haul routes.
Featured image by Wikimedia Commons.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees