This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
United just launched a new “mystery bonus” offering up to a 100% bonus when buying United miles. If targeted, you can buy miles at 1.88 cents each. That’s not bad… but how about the opportunity to buy 1,000 United miles at 0.1 cents each?
Now through November 16, you can subscribe to the Wall Street Journal for two months for just $1 through the United MileagePlus Shopping portal. As long as your subscription “remain[s] active (i.e., may not be cancelled) for at least 45 days,” you’ll earn a bonus of 1,000 United miles.
Unfortunately, this isn’t repeatable; the promotion notes that the “offer is limited to one (1) trial subscription per United MileagePlus account number.”
TPG values United miles at 1.5 cents each, so these 1,000 miles are worth $15 — not bad for $1. And beyond just getting the 1,000 bonus miles, this promotion is a cheap way for those with stagnant United accounts to extend the expiration date of their miles by another 18 months.
While this $1 purchase isn’t going to get you very far toward the spending thresholds, this is a good reminder of the United MileagePlus Shopping holiday bonus running now through November 19:
H/T: Mommy Points
Are you going to take advantage of this promotion?
This card is currently offering a sign-up bonus of 50,000 after spending $3,000 within the first three months. TPG values United miles at 1.4 cents apiece, so this 50,000-mile sign-up bonus gets you $700 in value.
- Limited time offer - ends 3/15/18
- 50,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 on purchases in the first 3 months your account is open
- $0 introductory annual fee for the first year, then $95.
- Check your first bag for free (a savings of up to $100 per roundtrip) when you use your Card to purchase your ticket
- Enjoy priority boarding privileges and visit the United Club℠ with 2 one-time passes each year for your anniversary
- No foreign transaction fees
- Earn 2 miles per $1 spent on tickets purchased from United, and 1 mile per $1 spent on all other purchases
- Your miles don't expire as long as your credit card account is open, with no limit to the number of miles you can earn