Tip: Use Your Chase Sapphire Reserve at German Train Ticket Machines
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here.
Chip and Pin cards are commonplace in Europe, but most US credit cards aren’t issued with this functionality. This renders many US credit cards useless at overseas unattended purchasing machines, like train ticket machines.
One of the few excellent travel cards that has Chip + PIN technology is the Barclaycard Arrival Plus World Elite Mastercard,making it an excellent option for a trip to Europe – especially because you can use your points to wipe out these travel purchases. But there’s another option for buying train tickets using a card that’s earned a place in many of our wallets at The Points Guy.
While the Chase Sapphire Reserve Card is officially a Chip + Signature card, it acts like a Chip + PIN card at the ticket machines of Deutsche Bahn (DB), Germany’s state rail operator. Since these machines are used for everything from long-haul train tickets to local S-Bahn metro and even bus tickets, having a credit card that works at these machines is a big benefit. It’ll save you from needing to have enough cash or putting the purchase on a debit card. Even better, you’ll earn 3x Ultimate Rewards points from these travel purchases. And, there are no foreign transaction fees.
So, how does it work? After selecting your ticket option, click Pay and see if there’s a credit card option. Not all purchases will allow you to use a credit card. If the card symbol is there, enter the Chase Sapphire Reserve Card and wait for the payment screen to prompt a PIN. Then just enter any four digits and click confirm.
It seems not to matter which numbers you use. At first, I entered the same PIN for all purchases, not sure if I had created a PIN by doing so. But, after mistyping this PIN once and having the purchase be confirmed, I’ve used random digits ever since.
Featured image by Michael Gottschalk / Getty Images.
Have you found any other cards that act like a Chip + PIN?
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees