This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here: Chase Sapphire Reserve
Chip and Pin cards are commonplace in Europe, but most US credit cards aren’t issued with this functionality. This renders many US credit cards useless at overseas unattended purchasing machines, like train ticket machines.
One of the few excellent travel cards that has Chip + PIN technology is the Barclaycard Arrival Plus World Elite Mastercard,making it an excellent option for a trip to Europe – especially because you can use your points to wipe out these travel purchases. But there’s another option for buying train tickets using a card that’s earned a place in many of our wallets at The Points Guy.
While the Chase Sapphire Reserve Card is officially a Chip + Signature card, it acts like a Chip + PIN card at the ticket machines of Deutsche Bahn (DB), Germany’s state rail operator. Since these machines are used for everything from long-haul train tickets to local S-Bahn metro and even bus tickets, having a credit card that works at these machines is a big benefit. It’ll save you from needing to have enough cash or putting the purchase on a debit card. Even better, you’ll earn 3x Ultimate Rewards points from these travel purchases. And, there are no foreign transaction fees.
So, how does it work? After selecting your ticket option, click Pay and see if there’s a credit card option. Not all purchases will allow you to use a credit card. If the card symbol is there, enter the Chase Sapphire Reserve Card and wait for the payment screen to prompt a PIN. Then just enter any four digits and click confirm.
It seems not to matter which numbers you use. At first, I entered the same PIN for all purchases, not sure if I had created a PIN by doing so. But, after mistyping this PIN once and having the purchase be confirmed, I’ve used random digits ever since.
Featured image by Michael Gottschalk / Getty Images.
Have you found any other cards that act like a Chip + PIN?
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees