Cockroaches on a Plane: China Eastern Flights Infested With Over 100 Roaches
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
We’ve reported about snakes on a plane, a scorpion falling out of an overhead bin and even a mouse forcing the disembarkation of a San Francisco-bound British Airways flight. But until now, we haven’t seen a katsaridaphobic‘s worst nightmare: dozens of cockroaches scurrying around an international flight.
Just in time for Halloween, that horrifying scenario played out on not one, but two recent China Eastern flights. As reported in the South China Morning Post, a pair of flights arriving in the southern China city of Kunming (KMG) landed with over 100 six-legged stowaways.
After landing in Kunming, “quarantine inspectors” boarded the flights to catch the insects. One photo of this process was provided by the authorities:
As cockroaches are a known disease carrier, the authorities examined over one hundred of the caught cockroaches for pathogens. They found the cockroaches to be blattella germanica, known commonly as German cockroaches.
The SCMP explains the news was originally reported by the China News Service, but the government-owned media service wouldn’t reveal the airline, country of origin or dates of the incidents. Gary at View From The Wing points out that the headrest covers in the photo above match SkyTeam member China Eastern’s logo.
As KMG is one of China Eastern’s hubs, it’s not going to be an easy process to figure out where these flights came from. According to the Kunming Airport’s Wikipedia page, China Eastern flies to 26 international airports and a few dozen domestic cities from KMG.
Thankfully, TPG didn’t see any cockroaches on his recent China Eastern first class flight. But even if he didn’t see them, they may have left their mark. As Penn State’s Department of Entomology explains, these cockroaches “produce odorous secretions that can affect the flavor of various foods. When cockroach populations are high, these secretions may result in a characteristic odor in the general region of the infestation.” Of course, when flying China Eastern, you probably won’t notice this scent over the smell of cigarette smoke in the cabin.
Both aircraft have since been fumigated by pest control, and airport authorities have asked the undisclosed carrier to “improve hygiene on its planes.”
H/T: View From The Wing
Featured image by Education Images via Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees