Richard Branson Expands Virgin Hotel Brand to Washington, DC
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Richard Branson, founder of Virgin Group, is expanding his brand even more: the second-ever Virgin Hotel has been just been announced for Washington, DC. The new location, slated for Fall 2019, will open next to Union Market in a neighborhood that’s fast becoming a culinary and cultural destination.
“Washington, DC is in the midst of a cultural renaissance, further establishing itself as a diverse global city that we feel will embrace the Virgin Hotel ethos and lifestyle,” said Dennis B. Lee, President of D.B. Lee Development and Construction, in a press release. “The Union Market area is representative of that renaissance with significant and eclectic development embracing the historical fabric of the market and community. We feel that Virgin Hotel will not only become a hub of activity in Union Market, but will also greatly enhance the cultural growth of the city, potentially becoming an epicenter of creative spirit.”
Although Union Market has experienced a surge of growth and development in recent years, the Virgin Group plans to honor the area’s history, as well as the art collective that once stood on the site. To that effect, the hotel will feature an artist-in-residence program, numerous second-floor art studios and an alleyway leading to a sculpture garden.
The new Virgin Hotel will have 178 rooms — called “chambers and grand chamber suites” in brand parlance — a panoramic rooftop lounge with an infinity pool, events and meeting spaces and multiple dining options, including a Commons Club restaurant and bar.
The Virgin Group has more hotels on the way; locations in San Francisco, Dallas, Palm Springs, Silicon Valley, New York, New Orleans and Nashville are all on deck. The brand opened its first hotel in Chicago in 2015.
Have you stayed in a Virgin Hotel? Let us know your experience in the comments below.
Images courtesy of The Virgin Group.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.