Richard Branson Expands Virgin Hotel Brand to Washington, DC
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Richard Branson, founder of Virgin Group, is expanding his brand even more: the second-ever Virgin Hotel has been just been announced for Washington, DC. The new location, slated for Fall 2019, will open next to Union Market in a neighborhood that’s fast becoming a culinary and cultural destination.
“Washington, DC is in the midst of a cultural renaissance, further establishing itself as a diverse global city that we feel will embrace the Virgin Hotel ethos and lifestyle,” said Dennis B. Lee, President of D.B. Lee Development and Construction, in a press release. “The Union Market area is representative of that renaissance with significant and eclectic development embracing the historical fabric of the market and community. We feel that Virgin Hotel will not only become a hub of activity in Union Market, but will also greatly enhance the cultural growth of the city, potentially becoming an epicenter of creative spirit.”
Although Union Market has experienced a surge of growth and development in recent years, the Virgin Group plans to honor the area’s history, as well as the art collective that once stood on the site. To that effect, the hotel will feature an artist-in-residence program, numerous second-floor art studios and an alleyway leading to a sculpture garden.
The new Virgin Hotel will have 178 rooms — called “chambers and grand chamber suites” in brand parlance — a panoramic rooftop lounge with an infinity pool, events and meeting spaces and multiple dining options, including a Commons Club restaurant and bar.
The Virgin Group has more hotels on the way; locations in San Francisco, Dallas, Palm Springs, Silicon Valley, New York, New Orleans and Nashville are all on deck. The brand opened its first hotel in Chicago in 2015.
Have you stayed in a Virgin Hotel? Let us know your experience in the comments below.
Images courtesy of The Virgin Group.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees