Narcos Fans Can Now Stay in Pablo Escobar’s Former Estate in Tulum, Mexico
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
You’d never guess by looking at chic, serene Casa Malca that it was once a former home of Pablo Escobar. But indeed, this incredible estate, which is located on the white sands and clear waters of Mexico’s Yucatan peninsula, once belonged to the famous Colombian drug lord who inspired the Netflix show Narcos.
Casa Malca was purchased in 2012 by art collector Lio Malca — it was largely abandoned after Escobar died in 1993. Now, it’s part of the Design Hotels group, and Malca, who’s curated exhibits at top art museums and venues around the world, has turned the estate into a 42-room luxury resort.
The five-star hotel spans almost 600 feet along an immaculate beach in Tulum. Nine of the 42 rooms are part of the original house, and the others are located around the property, allowing guests to either stay in Escobar’s old home or have a little extra privacy elsewhere on the estate. All the rooms come with private bathrooms, air-conditioning and free Wi-Fi. Some have ocean or garden views, while others also come with outdoor terraces. All are rustic, peaceful and in harmony with nature.
The resort is dedicated to being eco-friendly, and the design emphasizes natural light, focusing on warm woods and bright colors to reflect the Mayan surroundings.
Expect to see the entire hotel covered with paintings, sculptures and furniture created by some of the most famous contemporary designers and artists in the world — Jean-Michel Basquiat, Marion Peck, Kaws and Keith Haring — as well as local antiques.
Taking advantage of Malca’s position in the art world, the works in the hotel rotate, so you may see different artwork on each visit, mostly from his personal collection.
Walls are covered with specially printed wallpaper while velvet curtains, throws and soft rugs decorate the rooms and suites. Outdoor areas, including the three pools, are lined with tiles and wood, and are equipped with locally made hammocks and wooden swings. Distinctive mood lighting adds extra atmospherics to the steam room. There’s also a rooftop bar and a restaurant serving local organic cuisine.
While the property is part of the Design Hotels group, you can’t yet earn or redeem SPG points at Casa Malca, though it could soon change. Rates start around $460 per night, and there may be a requirement to book a certain number of nights depending on when you stay. And don’t worry if you happen to come during the rainy season — you could always binge-watch Narcos from your room, an appropriate activity here given the history.
All photos by Casa Malca / Facebook.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.