Narcos Fans Can Now Stay in Pablo Escobar’s Former Estate in Tulum, Mexico
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
You’d never guess by looking at chic, serene Casa Malca that it was once a former home of Pablo Escobar. But indeed, this incredible estate, which is located on the white sands and clear waters of Mexico’s Yucatan peninsula, once belonged to the famous Colombian drug lord who inspired the Netflix show Narcos.
Casa Malca was purchased in 2012 by art collector Lio Malca — it was largely abandoned after Escobar died in 1993. Now, it’s part of the Design Hotels group, and Malca, who’s curated exhibits at top art museums and venues around the world, has turned the estate into a 42-room luxury resort.
The five-star hotel spans almost 600 feet along an immaculate beach in Tulum. Nine of the 42 rooms are part of the original house, and the others are located around the property, allowing guests to either stay in Escobar’s old home or have a little extra privacy elsewhere on the estate. All the rooms come with private bathrooms, air-conditioning and free Wi-Fi. Some have ocean or garden views, while others also come with outdoor terraces. All are rustic, peaceful and in harmony with nature.
The resort is dedicated to being eco-friendly, and the design emphasizes natural light, focusing on warm woods and bright colors to reflect the Mayan surroundings.
Expect to see the entire hotel covered with paintings, sculptures and furniture created by some of the most famous contemporary designers and artists in the world — Jean-Michel Basquiat, Marion Peck, Kaws and Keith Haring — as well as local antiques.
Taking advantage of Malca’s position in the art world, the works in the hotel rotate, so you may see different artwork on each visit, mostly from his personal collection.
Walls are covered with specially printed wallpaper while velvet curtains, throws and soft rugs decorate the rooms and suites. Outdoor areas, including the three pools, are lined with tiles and wood, and are equipped with locally made hammocks and wooden swings. Distinctive mood lighting adds extra atmospherics to the steam room. There’s also a rooftop bar and a restaurant serving local organic cuisine.
While the property is part of the Design Hotels group, you can’t yet earn or redeem SPG points at Casa Malca, though it could soon change. Rates start around $460 per night, and there may be a requirement to book a certain number of nights depending on when you stay. And don’t worry if you happen to come during the rainy season — you could always binge-watch Narcos from your room, an appropriate activity here given the history.
All photos by Casa Malca / Facebook.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees