This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The launch of the Bombardier CSeries jet isn’t going so well, at least in the US. Despite receiving an order for 75 Bombardier CS100 jets from Delta, the company has since faced multiple setbacks at the hands of US regulators. The latest blow was dealt by the US Department of Commerce on Friday, increasing the tariffs US customers have to pay on the new jets to 300%.
The tariffs are being levied after Boeing filed a formal complaint that Bombardier had received government subsidies from the Canadian government. The filing claimed that the Canadian manufacturer sold the aircraft to Delta at “absurdly low” prices to undercut the Boeing 737. Delta has argued that Boeing doesn’t have a comparable jet to the 110-seat 2-3 arranged Bombardier CS100. Yet, US regulators have sided with Boeing.
After the initial 220% tariff was announced, Delta CEO Ed Bastian called the ruling “absurd” and said that the move would make the aircraft unaffordable. So, analysts and investors were anxious to hear what Delta’s executives had to say about the new ruling at the company’s Q3 earnings call Wednesday morning.
And, they weren’t disappointed. Calling the new ruling “nonsensical”, Delta’s CEO stated “We’re not going to be forced to pay tariffs or anything of the ilk.” With Bombardier and Delta both refusing to foot the bill for the 300% tariffs, it seems that Delta’s Bombardier order will be pulled if the duties are confirmed by the U.S. International Trade Commission (ITC) early next year.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees