Airbus’ Newest Aircraft Takes to the Skies for the First Time
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The newest version of the Airbus A330 was first announced in 2014 and is intended to give the A330 program new legs to continue into the 21st century. While “neo” stands for “new engine option,” the modifications don’t stop with newer, more efficient and quieter Rolls-Royce Trent engines. The updated aircraft will have lighter, wider and more efficient wings as well as an updated cabin interior — which we got to see for the first time in April 2016:
Today’s A330neo maiden voyage lasted 4 hours, 15 minutes and marks the first of many flights as part of its certification process, consisting of approximately 1,400 flight-test hours needed to certify the new types. Airbus got some great shots of its newest bird, showcasing the new blended winglets at the tip of the wings:
This aircraft (designated MSN1795, or the 1795th A330 / A340 off the assembly line) is one of three that will be used exclusively for testing. Two of the A330-900s will be manufactured and tested across 1,100 hours with an additional 300 hours on the smaller A330-800. The two jets are available only with Rolls Royce engines, as opposed to the current A330s, the 200 and 300 models, which both offer a choice of General Electric, Pratt & Whitney or Rolls.
The aircraft manufacturer hopes to complete the A330-900 certification process by mid-2018. Launch customer TAP Portugal expects to receive the first of its 14 A330neos around this time. To date, Airbus has received 206 orders from 10 airlines for the A330-900 — including 25 from Delta to replace its aging Boeing 767s.
Testing of the smaller A330-800 isn’t expected to be completed until 2019. So far, Airbus has received only one order for this type: 6 from Hawaiian Airlines. This is the aircraft Hawaiian is looking forward to using to launch direct flights between Europe and Hawaii.
Are you looking forward to getting a chance to ride on Airbus’ newest aircraft?
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees